Deadline of this Job:
Duration One year; renewable based on performance
Location: Makerere University Agricultural Research Institute Kabanyolo
The Accounts Administrator of CURAD is the finance and administration manager and has primary responsibility for all aspects of the organization’s financial management systems. S/he initiates and enforces measures and procedures to ensure that the business ofCURAD is conducted with efficiency and economy in order to protect the interests and assets of the institution. S/he is hired by and reports directly to the Managing Director and is responsible and accountable for the overall financial performance and the smooth functioning ofCURAD.
The Accounts Administrator is initially selected and appointed on a one-year basis, performance based contract, which can be renewed for a period as determined by the Board. There’s no limit to the number of contracts or years the Accounts Administrator may serve; the continuation of the contract is solely based on performance.
The Accounts Administrator serves as a member of CURAD Management team. Within his or her overall framework, the Accounts Administrator is responsible and accountable to the organization for the following, and his or her performance is judged based upon the degree of success he or she achieves in the implementation of these functions:
• Is responsible and accountable to the organization for set up and maintenance of professional financial accounting systems;
• Principal technical Advisor to the Managing Director and management on all matters of financial management.
• Provides advice and guidance on all financial issues regarding CURAD and conduct systematic reviews, reconciliations of all financial operations of the organization, providing independent and objective assessment of management control systems, including policies and procedures, regulations and rules and processes for financial management.
• Arranges for and manages yearly book keeping and audits of all organization funds;
• Sets up and manages appropriate systems for monitoring and collecting membership fees, yearly subscriptions, commission, grants, loans and all funds received by the organization;
• Develops and maintains appropriate personnel policies and procedures, ensuring that CURAD personnel and human resources development practices and procedures are in place and up to date;
• Be responsible and fully accountable for the proper management of finances to achieve the goals and outputs of the incubator.
• Take initiative in planning and implementation of CURAD’s revenue generating activities with the support of the Managing Director.
• Provide administrative support for (a) Recruitment and employment of consultants (b) Procurement of goods © Operation and management of funds in the Credit Account, Special Account and Project Account, furnishing period reports covering procurement of needed project inputs and use of budgeted resources/funds.
• Ensure timely release of funds for each component, especially where advances to certain components are concerned and be responsible for collecting relevant expense documents prior to release of further funds in this regard.
• Provide administrative support for all CURAD units including (a) Staff recruitment and appraisal (b) Procurement of goods, equipment and supplies.
• Sets up and maintains unit budgets and cost centre accounting procedures;
• Sets up and maintains a monitoring and evaluation and management information function that provides monthly statements to managers to support their ability to monitor and control their financial activities and their overall performance against work plans, targets and budgets;
• Sets up, maintains and monitors a system of procurement for all articles and items needed from outside vendors;
• Sets up, maintains and monitors systems that support smooth operation of secretarial and office support functions, including the work of volunteers and short-term hired staff as these might be used to support organization activities;
• Sets up and maintains separate accounts and systems to support organization fundraising activities;
• Secretary to the Board Audit and Finance committee
• Provides management oversight and ongoing technical guidance and feedback to staff and ensures CURAD meets its statutory requirements such as NSSF, PAYE and any other that may come up as and when applicable.
• Carries out such other functions as might be required by the Managing Director to support smooth running and implementation ofCURAD activities.
• The Accounts Administrator directly reports to the Managing Director.
B.com and/or ACCA and Master of Business
Administration is added advantage
• 3-5 years experience as an organizational accountant or 2-3 years on audit experience.
• Handling entrepreneurship development and/ or Business planning and development consulting experience.
• Experience with SMEs
• Excellent accounting skills using software like QuickBooks, Sage-pastel, palladium.
• Entrepreneurial skills, revenue generation and project management.
• MS Office; especially spread sheets
Specific person’s attributes
· Excellent budgeting and planning skills.
· Good written and oral communication skills in English.
· Entrepreneurial skills.
Nature of assignment: Job will be offered on a one year contract which can be extended for other three years based on incumbent performance. A positive attitude and passionate approach to the job will be very much appreciated.
Reporting: The Accounts Administrator will report to the Managing Director.
Duty station: Location of the job will be based at the Makerere University Agricultural Research Institute at Kabanyolo, Kampala.
Only Ugandan candidates are preferred.
Remuneration: The Accounts Administrator will receive a gross salary of US$24,000 p.a
The Consortium for enhancing University Responsiveness to Agribusiness Development Limited (CURAD) is a public-private partnership initiative owned and promoted by Makerere University; the National Union of Coffee Agribusinesses and Farm Enterprises (NUCAFE) Limited; the National Agricultural Research Organization (NARO); the University of Copenhagen (UC) and NIRAS International.
‘To be the leading generator of young agribusiness entrepreneurs creating wealth and jobs in East Africa’.
CURAD Mission Statement:
‘To produce young innovative and skilful agribusiness entrepreneurs through strategic partnerships that support investment in agribusiness by fostering collaboration between university, business and the research to create cultures and environment that will value, encourage and enable innovation and produce graduates who are problem solvers, decision makers and successful entrepreneurs”.
CURAD is funded by the Royal Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs (DANIDA) and is supported by the Universities, Business & Research in Agricultural Innovation (UniBRAIN), an initiative of the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA).
CURAD is the first agribusiness value chain incubator based at the Makerere University Agricultural Research Institute Kabanyolo. Under this initiative, the coffee value chain is the first value chain to be used as a pilot before CURAD can diversify into other value chains.
The key outputs of the incubator will be mainly young skilled entrepreneurs of BSc and MSc Agriculture and Agribusiness students, profitable SME enterprises started and commercialised technological innovations shared and upscaled. The objective is to improve the efficiency of marketing, to improve the quality of the product and to capture more value added products in ways that will increase returns on investments and create jobs.
CURAD is looking for a person to take up the position of the Managing Director who will be the Incubator Manager to manage CURAD in a business and professional manner. He or She will have to manage the incubator on a self-sustainable mode and achieve the set targets projected in its business plan.
Job application procedure
Applications should be addressed to
The Chairman of the CURAD Board accompanied with copies of academic transcripts and certificates sent to postal address P. O. BOX1509, Kampala, Uganda or email: curad. email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
Similar Jobs at Great Uganda Jobs
All jobs in Uganda advertised in January 2013