Deadline of this Job:
Duration: One year; renewable for three years based on performance
Location: Makerere University Agricultural Research Institute Kabanyolo
Job description of the Managing Director:
The Managing Director is expected to:
• Implement policies and strategies governing CURAD and delivery of services to clients as approved by the Board.
• Manage the overall implementation of the approved business plan and workplan of CURAD. In this connection, the Managing Director is responsible for ensuring efficient work distribution and coordination of tasks, effective linkages, flow of communication lines and management information among different spans of controls and encouragement of cross-functional teamwork among staff.
• Be the head of management and staff and day-to-day chief accounting officer and custodian on behalf of the Board.
• Manage the operations of the incubator and provide business assistance to its clients while generating revenue for the incubator.
• Manage delivery of services to clients and be a catalyst in strengthening the small-business start ups.
• Developing business partnerships with consortium members and partners focused on access to research and technical expertise available to incubator clients.
• Working with universities, business and research institutions in the consortium to design and deliver services that foster business startups from technology licensing, students, and faculty in the value chain activities of the incubator.
• Develop and expand the membership of the consortium.
• Market the services, facilities and activities of the incubator.
• Screen and recruit potential clients for the incubator.
• Map and develop business relationship with various clients and stakeholders in the different agricultural value chains: farmers, logistic operators, market players, large scale processors.
• Work with and support clients with leased and rented CURAD facilities in developing new value added products and market them through the incubator.
• Proactively pursue increased support and funding from other development partners that can complement existing partners.
• Coordinate with UniBRAIN facility to achieve the three outputs of the incubator business.
• Develop Monitoring & Evaluation system in line with requirements of UniBRAIN and up date the UniBRAIN facilitated Management Information and Collaboration System (MICS).
• Schedule regular networking receptions at the incubator.
• Prepare monthly press releases on incubator activities and clients.
• Publish an annual report with data on job creation, revenue generated etc.
• Perform any other duties as assigned by the Board.
Desirable proffessional attributes and experience
BSc in Agriculture or equivalent and Master of Business Administration or Masters degree in finance or agribusiness.
10 years experience in agribusiness development in product marketing of which 2-3 years on consultancy and/or experience in handling Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) sales.
Managing entrepreneurship and innovations development and/or Business consulting experience in agribusiness value chains.
Proven team leader, having negotiation skills and ability to interact with a multi-disciplinary support environment.
Managing/developing training programs, event management and understanding the demands of the students, SMEs, farmer organizations and market.
Management of incubators or agribusiness parks as businesses facilitating business start ups.
Experience and knowledge of agricultural value chain approach and marketing.
Excellent marketing skills.
Entrepreneurial skills, revenue generation and project management.
Computer skills in MS Office package.
Specific person’s attributes
Good written and oral communication in English.
A positive attitude and passionate approach to the job will be very much appreciated.
Team-building and ability to work with multi-partnerships.
Clearly outline with empirical evidence the record of achievements
Nature of assignment: Job will be offered on a one-year contract which can be extended for other three years based on incumbent performance.
Reporting: The Managing Director will report to the Board.
Duty station: Job will involve extensive travelling to coordinate with various clients and actors in the value chains. Incubator will be based at the Makerere University Agricultural Research Institute at Kabanyolo.
References: Please enclose in your application three written references that are familiar with your track record of achievements.
Who to apply: Only East African candidates are preferred.
Remuneration: The managing director will receive a gross salary of US$36,000 p.a
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR ACCOUNTS ADMINISTRATOR, CURAD
How to Apply
The Consortium for enhancing University Responsiveness to Agribusiness Development Limited (CURAD) is a public-private partnership initiative owned and promoted by Makerere University; the National Union of Coffee Agribusinesses and Farm Enterprises (NUCAFE) Limited; the National Agricultural Research Organization (NARO); the University of Copenhagen (UC) and NIRAS International.
‘To be the leading generator of young agribusiness entrepreneurs creating wealth and jobs in East Africa’.
CURAD Mission Statement:
‘To produce young innovative and skilful agribusiness entrepreneurs through strategic partnerships that support investment in agribusiness by fostering collaboration between university, business and the research to create cultures and environment that will value, encourage and enable innovation and produce graduates who are problem solvers, decision makers and successful entrepreneurs”.
CURAD is funded by the Royal Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs (DANIDA) and is supported by the Universities, Business & Research in Agricultural Innovation (UniBRAIN), an initiative of the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA).
CURAD is the first agribusiness value chain incubator based at the Makerere University Agricultural Research Institute Kabanyolo. Under this initiative, the coffee value chain is the first value chain to be used as a pilot before CURAD can diversify into other value chains.
The key outputs of the incubator will be mainly young skilled entrepreneurs of BSc and MSc Agriculture and Agribusiness students, profitable SME enterprises started and commercialised technological innovations shared and upscaled. The objective is to improve the efficiency of marketing, to improve the quality of the product and to capture more value added products in ways that will increase returns on investments and create jobs.
CURAD is looking for a person to take up the position of the Managing Director who will be the Incubator Manager to manage CURAD in a business and professional manner. He or She will have to manage the incubator on a self-sustainable mode and achieve the set targets projected in its business plan.
Job application procedure
Applications should be addressed to
The Chairman of the CURAD Board accompanied with copies of academic transcripts and certificates sent to postal address P. O. BOX 1509, Kampala, Uganda or email: curad. firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to email@example.com
Similar Jobs at Great Uganda Jobs
All jobs in Uganda advertised in January 2013