Deadline of this Job:
Job Title: Visa Clerk; FP- 8; FSN-6
U. S. Mission, Uganda
Number: 040/2013 Date: 04/04/2013
OPEN TO: All Qualified Candidates
POSITION: Visa Clerk; FP- 8; FSN-6
WORK HOURS: Full-time; 40 hours/week
ALL ORDINARILY RESIDENT (OR) APPLICANTS MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED
WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
The American Embassy is seeking an individual for the position of Visa Clerk in the
Consular Section. Position is temporary with end date not to exceed September
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
Incumbent serves as Visa Clerk and performs a broad range of Consular Services.
Screens documentation and information from a variety of sources to organize and
track visa requests according to a relatively complicated set of laws and
procedures, and prepares cases for review by the Consular Officer (or other Visa
Adjudicating Official). Interacts with the public on a daily basis, responding to
window, phone, and email inquiries, and provides clear written and oral
communication and excellent customer service. Follows established standard
operating procedures. Position is a temporary position to be filled in case of longterm
absence of other Consular staff or during times of peak visa demand.
A copy of the complete position description listing all duties and responsibilities is
available on http://kampala.usembassy.gov/job_opportunites.html
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with
specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
1. Education required: Completion of secondary school (both O’ and A’ levels) is
required. Completion of a diploma in social sciences, public administration and
management, secretarial, development studies, law, education, human resources
management, project planning, languages or business administration is required.
2. Work Experience required: Two years of experience working in an office
environment, consular area and/or public service environment is required.
3. Language required: Level IV (fluent) English ability (written, spoken and
reading) and Level III (good working knowledge) to translate any two of the
following local languages- Luganda, Lusoga, Lugisu, Iteso, Alur, Runyankole,
Lunyoro, Lukiga, Luo, Langi and Swahili is also required.
4. Knowledge required: Understanding of local immigration policies and
procedures is required.
5. Skills and Abilities required: Fast and accurate data entry skills and attention
to detail, ability to read, interpret, and act in accordance with complex regulations
and instructions, ability to work independently and exercise tact and discretion in
dealing with the public; work under continuous pressure, exercise good judgment
in referring cases to officers, write clear and concise correspondence.
When equally qualified, US Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and U.S.
Veterans are given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate
specifically address the required qualifications above in the application.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and visa status
in determining successful candidacy.
2. Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
3. Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of
Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance
Report are not eligible to apply.
4. Currently employed US Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member Appointment
(FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar
days of their appointment.
5. Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA)
are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of
their employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually
Employed (WAE) work schedule.
Job application procedure
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration
of the application:
1. Universal Application for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family
2. A current resume or curriculum vitae.
3. Candidates who claim US Veterans preference must provide a copy of their
Form DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US
Veterans preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a
conditional preference in hiring with their application.
4. Any other documentation (e.g. essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the
qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO
Human Resources Office
By email at KampalaHR@state.gov
ONLY ELECTRONIC SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AND ONLY
SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
Clearly indicate the position applied for in the subject area of the email
Please use standard file types such as Microsoft Word (.doc) and Adobe Acrobat
(.pdf) and please send all documents in one file attachment.
Similar Jobs at Great Uganda Jobs
All jobs in Uganda advertised in April 2013