Jobs at:Civil Aviation Authority
Vacancy title: Civil Engineer
Deadline of this Job: 06/06/2013
Job details: JOB REF : CAA/ADV/EXT/02/2013
POST : CHIEF CIVIL ENGINEER
REPORTS TO : Manager Aerodrome Maintenance
SALARY LEVEL : 12
VACANCIES : 01
To ensure that all engineering civil works are carried out efficiently and effectively
and ensure that the Airport is in a state of good maintenance and repair so that
the promised level of service can be delivered to users
A good Bachelor of Science Engineering (Civil) degree. A postgraduate
qualification in a relevant discipline will be an added advantage.
7 years relevant working experience 3 of which should have been at managerial
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
Must be a member of the Uganda Institution of Professional Engineers and
registered with the Engineer’s Registration Board.
Must have proven managerial skills.
Must be computer literate.
Must have knowledge of relevant ICAO SARPs.
Must have working knowledge of computerised engineering designs.
Input into Strategic Planning
1. Participates in the development of input into the business plan, budgets and
2. Prepares input in the development of the Aerodrome Maintenance (AM)
3. Participates in the implementation of departmental operational plans for the AM
Aerodrome Maintenance Processes
1. Participates in developing and implementing a comprehensive planned
maintenance systems that ensures maximum availability of adequate and efficient
civil infrastructure at the airports
2. Ensures a comprehensive response and repair time programme that maximises
3. Be sensitive to airport security issues and understand the role and contribution
of equipment under AM’s control
4. Ensures accurate the evaluation of current state and future requirements of
at the Airport and prepares in put into reports for submission to the Chief Civil
Engineer in terms of adequacy, condition and lifespan.
5. Participates in determining renovation/rehabilitation requirements for existing
6. Maintains Aerodrome civil works in a good state of repair and maintenance
7. Prepares civil engineering designs and checks as per requirements and
ensures that designs meet international standards and comply with the Local
8. Leads installations, maintenance works and repairs
9. Ensures that work specifications and programmes are followed in accordance
with established standards and quality work is done.
10. Prepares input into Project Progress Reports and monthly progress reports to
ensure project milestones are being achieved.
11. Monitors actual costs against expenditure on an ongoing basis and reports
12. Prepares bills of quantities, specifications, drawings and other tender
documents depending on the method of procurement to be used
13. Participates in the tender process and answers queries and facilitates
inspections by tenderers
14. Liaises with departments where works are being carried out to facilitate work b
15. Supervises the work done by contractors to ensure quality, duration and
16. Prepares certificate of payment (for approval by the Chief Civil Engineer) for
contractors after evaluating and confirming that the work meets all the conditions
of the contract
17. Participates in the evaluation of civil engineering plans to ensure that they
meet and comply with ICAO regulations especially Annex 14
18. Provides civil engineering services at Upcountry Airports /airfields as required
19. Offers these same services to Upcountry Airports Manager
20. Ensures that buildings are maintained in a good state of repair and
21. Ensures proper maintenance of all movement areas such as access roads, car
parks, compounds, taxi ways are well maintained and there are no potholes, no
cracks and no open manholes, and grounds are all well maintained and neat.
22. Maintains adequate stocks of spares to carry out required maintenance
without creating a major liability financially
23. Ensures proper maintenance of all equipment and tools and ensures that they
are accounted for
24. Ensures accurate and up to date maintenance of records and information in
25. Ensures the existence and implementation of SAFETY regulations for
personnel & equipment in accordance with the British Standard Codes of practice
and the recommended ICAO practices and regulations on SAFETY
Human Resources Management
Participates in the attraction, retention, motivation and development of staff that
are dedicated to outstanding performance in the department.
Advises management on the Departments manpower requirements and ensures
staff development within the Department
Implements performance management. on own staff in the department
Ensures that all regulations are followed in all civil engineering works carried out
Conducts and ensures adequate training for civil engineering staff internally
and/or using outside resource personnel as appropriate
Job application procedure
Hand-written applications with detailed CV and copies of academic certificates and
transcripts with the Job reference number clearly marked at the top left hand
corner of the envelope should be sent to the address below, before close of
business on 6th June, 2013 at 5:00p.m.
The previous applicants for position No.11 who applied in 2011 may re-apply if still
THE DIRECTOR HUMAN RESOURCE AND ADMINISTRATION
CIVIL AVIATION AUTHORITY (HEAD OFFICE)
P .O. BOX 5536
Applicants, who will not have heard from us by 6th September, 2013 should regard
their applications unsuccessful
Quantifies the capability gaps in terms of skills and competencies and implement
programs to close the capability gap through on the job training and development
Similar Jobs at Great Uganda Jobs
All jobs in Uganda advertised in May 2013