Jobs at:Young African Refugees For Integral Development (YARID)
Deadline of this Job:
Wednesday, February 14 2024
Date Posted: Tuesday, February 06 2024, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Young African Refugees for Integral Development (YARID) is a registered NGO based in Kampala, founded in 2007 by young Congolese refugees living in Uganda.
The mission of YARID is to empower refugees, orphans and Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) around Africa to overcome the burdens of deprivation and vulnerability to become healthy, educated, self-sustaining and contributing members of society.
YARID unites urban refugees through avenues like sports, English classes, and vocational skills training in order to address social issues like ethnic conflicts, unemployment, public health, and lack of access to education. Refugees that YARID serves mainly come from the Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda Burundi, South Sudan, Eritrea, Somalia and Ethiopia.
Employee Category: Full-time (35-40 hours/week)
Reporting Line: Protection Coordinator
Deadline: 14th of February 2024 at 5:00 PM
As an ambulance nurse at YARID, you will be accountable for the assessment, treatment, diagnosis, supplying and administering of medicines, managing, discharging and referring patients in a range of urgent and emergency presentations in out-of-hospital settings.
You will provide effective clinical leadership, development and mentorship to operational personnel, including newly recruited staff and students to support the delivery of a high-quality patient centred service. Contribute to the development of an integrated approach to the delivery of unscheduled/out of hours care involving social care organisations.
• Dynamically assess the scene and identify environmental and clinical risks to patients, self and colleagues taking appropriate action to minimise them where possible and ensure safety.
• Identify safeguarding concerns and ensure these are reported and documented in an appropriate manner.
• Have due regard and where practicable maintain the security of operational bases, ambulances and equipment.
• Ensure the safe transfer of patients, to and from vehicles, in line with the Trust’s policy/procedures.
• Take responsibility for own health and wellbeing, promoting the ongoing care of physical and mental wellbeing in order to meet the requirements of the role.
• Carry out shifts as agreed and detailed by the Organisation.
• To abide by the YARID values and the NHS Constitution, all staff must maintain the highest standards of care and service treating everyone with dignity and respect whilst promoting a non-discriminatory, inclusive culture.
• Identify and take action when other people’s behaviours undermine equality, diversity and inclusion.
• Assess, treat, manage or refer, and where appropriate, convey patients according to the nature and severity of their condition to alternative care pathways. As appropriate, provide packages of care to patients at home.
• Carry out pre-hospital emergency care duties commensurate with national clinical practice guidelines and YARID support guidelines.
• Responsible as an autonomous practitioner using local care pathways associated with local initiatives promoting see and treat, where clinically safe to do so, reducing inappropriate conveyance and subsequent ED admission.
• Ability to organise and manage the scene of a complex incident during initial stages until a supervisor arrives. This could involve organising or managing patients, bystanders, or other responding services.
• Undertake duties in relation to major incidents including exercises which may require call out when off duty in accordance with the YARID Incident Procedure.
• Modify and adapt working practices to meet the clinical needs of the patient in an emergency and urgent care setting.
• As appropriate, treat refer or discharge patients who access the health service but who do not need hospital admission where clinically safe to do so.
• Participate in the development of an integrated approach to the delivery of emergency care.
• Participate in the development of an integrated approach to the delivery of emergency and urgent care involving all relevant stakeholders including health and social care organisations.
• Utilise appropriate and relevant information to assist patients, patient advocates or carers to make informed health choices in line with national guidance and the health promotion and prevention agenda.
• Make reasoned decisions regarding initiating, modifying or ceasing treatment or procedures and ensuring accurate documentation of decisions. Being accountable and responsible for clinical decisions made during the course of duty and seek senior clinical advice where appropriate.
• Ensure compliance with medicines management. Ensures drugs are stored securely and where appropriate stocked according to both national legal frameworks and local policy.
• Assist with the induction and mentorship of new staff and students ensuring that they are aware of all necessary procedures, policies and information in order to carry out their role effectively.
• Supervise and mentor designated staff and students as required, taking appropriate action in line with Trust policy/procedures if performance falls below expected standards.
• A diploma/ Certificate from the nursing Council and Midwifery.
• Experience doing first aid and general treatment in emergency situations.
• A minimum of 2 years of working experience as a nurse.
• Up to date with current first aid procedures and be able to perform procedures such as bandaging, splinting, and administering oxygen.
• Have knowledge of driving rules and laws as well as driving skills.
• Must be able to effectively talk to, comfort, and reassure patients and family members, as well as be able to communicate effectively with dispatchers and medical professionals.
• Ability to make quick and accurate decisions pertaining to patient care and routes.
• Fluency in English. Knowledge of languages spoken by refugees such as French, Swahili, etc. will be considered an added advantage.
• Excellent digital literacy competencies conversant with the ecommerce platforms.
• Excellent communication skills and ability to convey information effectively both in verbal and written formats.
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
• Knowledge of urban/community development.
• Service oriented with good interpersonal and facilitation skills.
Equality and Diversity
YARID Service is committed to the fair treatment of all people, regardless of their gender, race, colour, ethnicity, ethnic or national origin, citizenship, religion, disability, mental health needs, age, domestic circumstances, social class, sexuality, beliefs, political allegiance or trades union membership.
Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults
In accordance with YARID Safeguarding policies. YARID Service is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of Children, Young People and Adults. All staff working with these groups are expected to share a commitment to this. You will be expected to promptly report any concerns relating to the safeguarding, sexual harassment of children, young people and / or adults in accordance with agreed policy and procedures. If your own conduct in relation to the safeguarding of children, young people or adults gives cause for concern the YARID agreed Public Protection Procedures will be followed, alongside implementation of the Disciplinary Procedure where appropriate.
A background check will be conducted to assess compliance with safeguarding policies.
All our services are free, DO NOT pay anybody and be coursed into abuse of safeguarding policies for a job placement.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Professional Certificate
Job application procedure
If you meet the above qualifications and are interested in this opportunity, please submit your application before the 14th of February 2024. Please note that there will be a rolling review of applications, so we encourage early application. Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
Send your CV, application letter, LC1 letter, ID, and academic documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Ambulance Driver” in the email subject line.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.