Productive Use of Energy (PUE) Consultant
Deadline of this Job:
Tuesday, February 13 2024
Date Posted: Friday, February 02 2024, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Productive Use of Energy (PUE) Consultant
PUE strategies, energy audits, PUE deal screening and data use, and other related activities around power generation and utilization.
Periodically provide refresher training for the staff, interns and Agile partners when required.
Chemonics seeks a Consultant for the Productive Use of Energy (PUE) for the Feed
Develop a comprehensive training product for staff, interns and Agile partners the Future Uganda Strategic Investments (SIA) Activity. The purpose of the SIA Activity is to facilitate foreign and domestic commercial investments that yield and advance development objectives. The 5-year activity, funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), will mobilize financing for investment in agriculture and food security, the productive use of energy for agriculture and related industries, and health. By supporting development-oriented investments, the Activity will integrate underrepresented populations into the market economy and facilitate the transition from subsistence to commercial production.
SIA seeks to contribute to increased productive use of energy (PUE) in agriculture and related sectors by supporting proven and targeted PUE innovations and unlocking financing for such innovations. Several Agro-processing businesses have come up in Uganda as part of the Government of Uganda's overarching goal of Agro industrialization. Additionally, the health sector requires innovations that can spur private sector investments in energy solutions for improved efficiencies, and logistics to better health outcomes.
To increase productive use, individuals will require improved energy services which could include a new electricity connection, improved cookstoves, or access. to gas, increased number of hours of electricity service, and reduced outages and voltage fluctuations. Additionally, SIA PUE interventions will succeed if individuals and businesses purchase productive use assets, which often are expensive. These include but are not limited to connecting purchasing firms with sellers and facilitating financing or investment, which makes the purchase possible including leasing. Innovations around unlocking commercial financing of productive use assets will be. critical to SIA's work under PUE.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the PUE consultant will provide technical assistance in identifying PUE opportunities, support techno-economic and investment analysis, and make recommendations for selected opportunities/ projects. He/she will support the SIA MEL team by aggregating quarterly and annual technical reports under objective three workstreams for submission to USAID and other internal audiences, evaluate all SIA PUE-related deals (on-grid and off-grid), screen innovative products, and develop robust interventions that are cost-effective in agriculture and health sectors. The consultant will support the technical team with developing PUE concept notes, and program descriptions, and conducting investment-grade energy audits for ago-processing and health facilities in line with SIA interventions in compliance with Uganda, energy laws and regulations. The consultant will also assist SIA's technical, grant, and subcontractor teams in completing screening for various SIA activities including grants and subcontracts. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
• Conduct energy audits to catalyze PUE innovations and investment in Agro- processing facilities and health facilities to ensure energy efficiencies and deal financing at scale.
• Energy audits will determine the energy consumption associated with a facility and the potential savings associated with that energy consumption before the investment into appropriate PUE technologies.
• Partnership management to include a) development/provision of input to
• Participate in PUE deal origination, due diligence and deal financing as assigned the by the CEO.
• Outline the monitoring, evaluation, and documentation norms to ensure PUE updates for activity reports are provided.
• An advanced degree in renewable energy, electrical engineering, or related field.
• Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering or agricultural/ biosystems engineering, chemical engineering or its equivalent.
• Certifications like Certified Energy Auditor (CEATM) or Certified Energy Manager (CEMTM) Renewable Energy Professional (REPTM) or Certified Expert in Climate and Renewable Energy Finance (CECRF) or any other certification by a relevant certification body.
• At least seven years' general experience with least 4 years of demonstrated knowledge, experience and understanding of main-grid and off-grid energy solutions focusing on power generation and utilization at scale.
• The consultant should have executed at least (3) similar assignments in the last five (5) years.
• Experience in monitoring of PUE interventions of USAID-funded activities. This is applicable to Ugandan Nationals only.
The consultant will be responsible for delivering the following.
• Completed energy audits including investment-grade energy audits, reports, recommendations, and checklists for Ugandan small and medium enterprises in need of PUE-related investment or uptake. Developed PUE teasers, pre- organizational capacity assessments, Fit check for PUE-related deals. Developed information materials to create awareness, uptake, and utilization of PUE-related technologies.
• Support the development of PUE awareness and information materials as determined and requested by the activity team and partners (e.g. specific statistical documents, reports, manuals, guidelines, etc.)
• Developed grant and subcontract concept notes and scopes of work.
Location and Duration of Assignment
The location of assignment is in Kampala with frequent travel to the grantee and potential SIA partner sites across Uganda. The period of performance will be 40 days running for 6 months.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
To apply visit please submit your CV and cover letter via the Smartsheet link below no later than Friday, February 13, 2024.
the objective 3 grant and subcontract concept notes and scopes of work, b) No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact the finalists. Participation in the review of objective 3 deliverables and milestone reports.
Contribute to PUE work planning and periodic reporting.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its •
Develop awareness and utilization information materials required for the uptake selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, and utilization of PUE. national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, other non-merit factor.
Support the capacity building process of firms to implement PUE technologies disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or including the purchase and uptake of PUE for businesses.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.