Social Safeguards And Gender Expert - Climate Finance Unit
Jobs at:Ministry of Finance, Planning, and Economic Development
Deadline of this Job:
12 October 2022
Date Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job title: Social Safeguards And Gender Expert - Climate Finance Unit
(FCDO) Support to the Establishment of a Climate Finance Unit in the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development
Reports to Head-Climate Finance Unit
Specifics of recruitment
In a bid to increase efficiency in coordinating climate change action, Uganda launched the National Climate Change Policy (NCCP); and submitted its Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in 2015. The Parliament of Uganda passed the Climate Change Bill in April 2021 to legally enforce the implementation of climate change responsive measures in line with resolutions from international conventions such as the UNFCCC. Additionally, to institutionalize national climate change action, the Government of Uganda established the Climate Change Department to lead national coordination of climate change action in partnership with relevant stakeholders.
The GoU pledged to provide 30% of the funds needed to implement NDCs and expected the ‘other’ 70% to emanate from external sources. The costed implementation plan for the National Climate Change Policy (NCCP 2015) indicated that Uganda requires US$ 2.5 billion annually between 2015 and 2030 to address the impacts of climate change. The cost of inaction has been estimated at an annual cost range of USD 3.2 5 billion within a decade from 2015 with the highest impacts already felt in water, energy, agriculture and infrastructure sectors.
In 2016, the Overseas Development Institute estimated that Uganda’s total expenditure on climate change relevant actions remained below 1% of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP), which is much lower than the 1.6% that the implementation strategy of the NCCP recommended. A more recent situation analysis of climate finance in Uganda conducted by GGGI confirms this phenomenon. Both studies suggest that significant additional finance is required above what is currently spent on relevant climate change actions and warn that the costs of climate change impacts have a multiplier effect if ignored.
MoFPED is alive to these challenges and is desirous of establishing The Climate Finance Unit (CFU). The CFU will increase institutional coordination and capacity to design funding programs competently. The CFU will also develop systems, capabilities and innovations, including the competency to develop innovative fundable and bankable initiatives. CFU will build on efforts by MoFPED through the Directorate of Debt and Cash Policy (DDCP) to build capacity of line ministries, agencies, CSOs, privates sector to attract, plan and implement climate finance. The CFU is a deliberate part of the measures to reform, create and continuously enhance the capacity of the MoFPED to perform the duties of the climate finance mobilization as a National Designated Authority (NDA) and ensure multi stakeholder participation of mobilizing finance for climate actions in Uganda.
Purpose of the assignment
The purpose of this assignment is provision of Social Safeguards & Gender expertise to the CFU in the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development. The Social Safeguards and Gender Expert will contribute to the Gender technical requirements of the Unit.
Specific objectives of the assignment:
• To contribute to an effective and innovative CFU within the Ministry.
• To provide strategic direction to the CFU through analysis, policy and strategy development, and institutional arrangements related to safeguards, poverty reduction, social inclusion, and gender equality.
• Stakeholder Capacity enhancement in line with the international climate finance requirements
• As a Taskforce pioneer trial-country, ensure that Uganda tests the practical viability of the new approach to financing national climate priorities.
Specific Tasks to be undertaken.
• In light of the above objectives, the Gender Specialist will undertake the following assignments:
• Contribute to relevant CFU and MoFPED documents on the requirements for gender mainstreaming, including the Uganda Climate Finance Strategy.
• Devise and formulate knowledge products, especially on social development and gender issues, and devise M&E and reporting mechanisms to support mainstreaming and delivery of gender and social development outcomes for the CFU.
• Conduct a detailed Gender and Social Inclusion analysis guided by the Government of Uganda Gender mainstreaming, particularly emphasizing gender issues in the area and regional interventions
• Assess and identify potential gender-differentiated impacts on the projects/programmes
• Collect gender-disaggregated baseline data that could be used to monitor potential gender impacts on the operations of the CFU.
• Identify government agencies, Civil Society and Private Sector Operational Gender gaps in the Projects to be funded
• Based on the gender analysis, develop plans of action that identify opportunities and entry points for mainstreaming gender into projects.
• Deliver gender and social development trainings and capacity development programs to DAE staff and other partners:
• Develop a CFU Gender strategy in consultation with other stakeholders Identify key resource gaps in relation to those elements / sectors, building on extant investment plans, as well as any further work needed to ensure a bankable plan is in place as the basis for the country trial.
• Provide guidance on the International Climate Finance Gender requirements and best practices.
• Analyse and prepare knowledge products and services on social development and gender issues of importance, such as studies on current and emerging issues, operational tools (sector checklists and toolkits), and best practices;
• Ensure that knowledge exchange and capacity building are successfully implemented successfully. This includes integrating Gender and Safeguards consideration in multiple capacity building workshops, high-level multi-stakeholder dialogues, focus group discussions.
The Gender Specialist should have a minimum academic qualification of a Master’s degree in Gender Studies, Social Works and Social Administration or related area.
7 years’ experience in the field of Gender and Social Safeguard, five (5) of which Working with Multi-Stakeholder Funded Projects
A minimum of a Certificate training in monitoring and evaluation.
• UNFCCC Gender Negotiation Skills
• Information, communication technology c) Public Relations and interpersonal skills
• Team work
Applicants should submit a 2-page CV. 3-page mode of delivery note. Successful candidates will be invited for interviews.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Details of the scope of services, deliverables, required qualifications, experience and competences can be accessed on the Official Ministry Website: www.finance.go.ug
Applications must include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, certificates and testimonials, and be addressed as below and submitted online to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1700hrs on Wednesday 12th October 2022.
Address the email submitting your application as follows: POSITION – SURNAME- FIRST NAME – OTHER NAMES
Under Secretary/Accounting Officer
Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development
Plot 2/12 Apollo Kaggwa Road
P O Box 8147
1) The Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development is an equal opportunity employer. Any form of lobbying shall lead to disqualification.
2) Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.