2 Advisors Smallholder Dairy Development Component
Jobs at:SNV Netherlands Development Organization
Deadline of this Job:
15 May 2022
Date Posted: Monday, May 02, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
SNV is an international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has annual revenues of over €120 million, and 1300 staff working in 25 countries across Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
About the Project
SNV Netherlands development organization and the Embassy of the Kingdom of Netherlands (EKN) signed a grant in Dec 2021 to implement the Integrated smallholder Dairy programme (ISDAP) in Tooro, Kigezi and Ankole for 3 years, starting in January 2022. ISDAP is a separate program under the management of the TIDE-2 project. The aim of ISDAP is to improve the livelihood of the smallholder farmers (with land holdings below 6 acre) by improving the wellbeing and productivity of the dairy cattle kept at the farm through improved forage production, optimizing animal nutrition by utilisation of by-products and wastes of the other crops grown at the farm. ISDAP will also provide support in improved raw milk quality and marketing as well as Strengthening the existing cooperatives and SACCO’s.
SNV Uganda wishes to engage the services of a talented Advisor for its new Smallholder Dairy Development Component, based in Fort Portal, Uganda. To develop and support TIDE’s Smallholder Component, SNV requires the Advisor to have a strong background in smallholder agriculture development and Farmer Field Schools.
The following specific tasks are foreseen:
• Support the Smallholder TIDE’s team leader involved in the Smallholder Component in establishing and operationalising the smallholder activities, including the four outcomes on production, milk quality, value chain and human nutrition.
• Implement the smallholder activities in collaboration with the team in Fort Portal and the other TIDE staff based in Mbarara.
• Supporting the implementation, control, follow up and monitoring of the FFS approach within the Smallholder Component, including organizing the Training of Trainers, Training of Facilitators, FFS exchange and exposure visits, together with the team in Fort Portal.
• Act as a technical expert for the TIDE Project Manager and the rest of the TIDE team by contributing to the technical direction of the project activities that relate to the development of smallholder farming and Farmer Field Schools.
• Be responsible for regular reporting of the activities within the Smallholder Component, including financial reports on activities undertaken to the team leader
• Acts as technical expert for the Project Manager and aims to create an enabling environment (by sharing knowledge, understanding stakeholders and environment) for the implementation of a project, for the project to meet its objectives. Ensures, monitors progress and reviews quality of own expertise and ensures client support and satisfaction during projects.
• Contributes to internal and external knowledge development, ensures lessons learned are shared and applied in daily practice and may be appointed as (national) focal point of an expertise network. Initiates/ coordinates the review process and evaluation of advisory services in order to collect lessons learned, proposes corrective measures and ensures identification of follow up assignments. Participates in knowledge development/expertise groups and in internal and external networks.
• Identifies and proposes technical process improvements to the team leader. Acts on improvement areas within the local internal organisation and processes and gives feedback. Ensures lessons learned are applied in daily practice.
• Steers (functionally) colleagues and coaches associated partners/ external stakeholders on quality within the context of assignments. Acts as a technical expert in the content area, applies process improvements in projects and coaches’ colleagues and associated partners both professionally as operationally on quality of context within projects.
• Master’s Degree from a University in agricultural production, preferably with specialisations in rural development, dairy, or training & extension.
• Three (3) years plus of experience in the relevant field of agricultural smallholder development, extension & training.
• Two (2) years of proven experience in the Farmer Field School approach, preferably with livestock FFS and experience in the organisation and facilitation of FFS training.
• Familiar and committed to farmer-led development approaches, including group-based participatory extension approaches like FFS.
• Experience with knowledge transfer (farmer extension, training, ToTs), ability to develop training materials and set-up training of farmer and training of trainers’ courses.
• Experience in managing partner relations with NGOs, government departments, research and knowledge institutes, and private sector market actors.
• Ability / experience in guiding and coaching a team with the knowledge, skills, and product development
• Good verbal and written communication skills in English.
• Good computer and software applications skills.
• Work experience in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team.
• Highly motivated to maintain regular dialogue with SNV’s partner organizations.
• Skills in teamwork, facilitation, and training. Knowledge of NGO operations.
• Experience with the dairy sector, knowledge of Western Uganda and human nutrition are all strong additional advantages.
• Sensitive and committed to gender equity and diversity.
Terms of Appointment.
This is a full-time position based in SNV Mbarara office, Uganda which 2/3 of the time traveling to the project operational districts in Kigezi and Greater Ankole region.
SNV is offering a competitive national contract, salary, and secondary benefits commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a 2.5year contract with possible extension depending on funding and performance.
The successful candidate will:
• Adhere to SNV values and code of conduct
• Participate in all team activities
• Report directly to the Project Manager TIDE
• Work jointly with all relevant SNV staff
Working at SNV
We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from and contribute to an international global network of experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
NB: only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and motivation letter in English. Deadline is 15th May 2022.
Please click here to apply.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.