4 Laboratory Technologists
Jobs at:International Organization for Migration
Deadline of this Job:
Tuesday, May 23 2023
Date Posted: Thursday, May 11 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Organizational Context And Scope
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Laboratory Technologist and the overall supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO), the incumbent will be responsible for technical support to laboratory services with respect to Migration Health Assessments (HAP) and other programmes implemented by the IOM Migration Health Division in Kampala, Uganda.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Perform laboratory procedures as assigned by the laboratory supervisor for pre-examination, examination, and post-examination activities through the use of the standard relevant equipment.
2. Contribute to the implementation of laboratory quality management systems under the guidance of the laboratory supervisor. Take on the focal point role for one or more quality system essentials (QSE) as requested by the laboratory supervisor.
3. Ensure standards and the quality of laboratory procedures by strictly following the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
4. Adhere to biosafety measures adopted in the laboratory, being responsible for the safety of oneself and others.
5. Organize and operate activities on assigned station for accurate, efficient, and timely delivery of results.
6. Perform quality control and quality assurance activities for assigned stations and document results as required.
7. Facilitate laboratory equipment maintenance to ensure these are in good working order and operate equipment appropriately following SOPs.
8. Facilitate laboratory stock management and monitor that the equipment and consumables are sufficient for the anticipated work.
9. Alert the laboratory supervisor to any problems related to operations, including equipment, stock management and biosafety.
10. Facilitate maintenance of established systems of organized record keeping and information management for timely delivery of results, data collection, analysis and reporting for laboratory monitoring and facilitation of operational research.
11. Develop and/or update SOPs in coordination with the laboratory supervisor.
12. Participate in the improvement of the service system according to the adopted work plan in the laboratory.
13. Manage and meet client expectations by prioritizing interests and providing services with guiding principles of patients’ dignity, beneficence and non-maleficence in courteous manner.
14. Ensures compliance with IOM instruction INS 278 and undertakes all designated mandatory trainings.
15. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree or Diploma from an accredited academic institution in Medical (Clinical) Laboratory Sciences, Microbiology or a related discipline in countries where the scope of responsibilities are fulfilled according to national regulations.
• A valid license to practice, if applicable
• Three years for Bachelor’s degree holder and five years for diploma holders of relevant clinical laboratory experience in a busy institution, preferably in a laboratory;
• Relevant technical knowledge and practices to personnel and laboratory operations;
• Knowledge and experience in clinical laboratory techniques;
• Knowledge of laboratory quality management systems;
• Knowledge of the principles and practices laboratory biosafety;
• Computer literate with understanding of accurate data collection and analysis for monitoring and continuous improvement of laboratory services and performances; and,
• Good awareness of the laboratory role in health systems, optional use of resources for quality and efficient services delivery.
• Effectively applies and transfers relevant technical knowledge and practices to personnel and laboratory operations
• Organizational skills;
• Communication skills.
• Fluency in English
• Working Knowledge of any other UN languages.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies: Values
• Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
• Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
• Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected, and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results; produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page) and résumé highlighting the required education and experience.
Interested applicants may send their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 23rd May 2023. Reference Number and Position Title: VN/UG/010/2023 – Laboratory Technologist should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Required: After sending your application through email@example.com YOU ARE REQUIRED to fill in the recruitment Questionnaire using the link:- Pre-Screening Form.
Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged.
Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
From 10th May 2023 to 23rd May 2023
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.