Communication and Knowledge Management Officer
Jobs at:International Institute of Rural Reconstruction
Deadline of this Job:
30 April 2022
Date Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
International Institute of Rural Reconstruction, also known as IIRR is a non-profit organization that helps empower rural communities by making them self-sufficient. By offering programs across health, education, environment and livelihood, its goal is to have rural communities take charge of their own success. Established way back in 1960s, IIRR headquarters is in Silang, Philippine with operation offices in Cambodia, Myanmar and New York (USA). In Africa, IIRR operates in Kenya, Uganda, South Sudan, Ethiopia and Zimbabwe. In Uganda, IIRR was formally registered in 2005 under the Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) registration regulation. IIRR Mission is to empower rural people to build resilient communities and attain socioeconomic equity through creative and community-led action. IIRR envisions an equitable world in which rural people achieve their full potential, living a life of dignity and self-reliance in harmony with the environment. In achieving its mandate, IIRR core values are; Partnership, Teamwork, Excellence and Individual Qualities of 4 Cs (Competence, Creativity, Character and Commitment).
Purpose for the position
The Communication and Knowledge Management Officer (CKMO) will work under the direct supervision of the Programme Director and/as shall be allocated and will provide overall communication and knowledge management functions for IIRR. The CKMO will support IIRR in delivering specific outputs across the implementation of all project. The Officer will ensure that all communications and knowledge management are of high value, create impact, influence and inform a full range of IIRR’s stakeholders.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
The position holder will be required to:
• Work with program staff to develop key messages for documents like banners, brochures, posters, fliers and calendars.
• Develop and maintain an electronic data bank which contains project key facts documents, reports, policy position and briefing papers that ought to be easily accessible for staff and researchers. Ensure that the project and any relevant organizations document are available in printed version (hard copies) at the Country Office.
• Build and maintain an electronic databank of well-captioned photographs and videos that cover all thematic areas of AVCP and all the projects.
• Analyze general information and select materials to support the building of initiatives
• Promote Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing.
• Research best practices and pose new, more effective ways of doing things.
• Capture Significant changes and document voices of stakeholders: farmers, children, women, the underserved (marginalized) from the project locations in a manner that will empower them to increase their participation in reporting potential threats to their wellbeing e.g. disaster occurrences.
• Documents innovative strategies and new approaches.
• Ensure quality by editing all communication content including scripts for radio talk shows.
• Support development of Information, Education and Communication (IEC) materials.
• Ensure proper documentation and communication by editing reports and stories.
• Produce seminar/workshop reports and stories.
• Lead the process of developing publications.
Required Skills and Competencies
The position holders will be required to exhibit:
• Commitment, embraces diversity, integrity, self- awareness and self- regulation, teamwork, and drive for results.
• Experience writing for different audiences.
• Creativity and ability to solve problems independently with limited oversight.
• Value the process as much as the end result.
• Passionate about telling compelling and authentic stories.
• Enjoy working with colors, fonts and photos.
• Enjoy working and building relationships through inclusion, empathy and mutual accountability.
Qualification and Experiences
Bachelors of Mass Communications, or Education with English Language Studies & Literature in English, BA Arts with a bias in Communication, Development Studies, Development Communication from a recognized University.
A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience at the national level in providing communication and knowledge management packages to promote the activities of organization, preferably with a development Organization.
• Fluency in written and spoken English is a must.
• Experience in development communication, documentation, editing and writing g reports.
• Experience in leading workshops, seminars, interviewing audiences and documenting their stories.
• Experience in research including e-survey, online communication (Email, Virtual meeting platform, WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook).
• Experience in Photography and videography will be an added advantage.
• Proven capacity of teamwork, under difficult situations and with people from different cultural backgrounds.
• Ability to collect and analyze data (demonstrable analytical and writing skills).
• Detail oriented and time conscious.
• Willingness to travel as required and under difficult conditions.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested candidates are to apply by email with an up-to-date CV and cover letter including contacts of at least 3 referees (1 of them MUST be a recent work supervisor(s) and addressed to:
The Country Director,
International Institute of Rural Reconstruction,
P. O. Box 35536, Kampala; Uganda,
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org; with copy to email@example.com
Closing date and time for receiving applications is 30th April 2022 at 5:00pm (EAT)
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.