Driver (Under ABS Project)
Jobs at:National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Deadline of this Job:
10 December 2021
Date Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) on behalf of tbe Government of Uganda is executing a 4-year Global Environment Facility/United Nations Environment Programme supported Project on " Institutional Capacity Strengthening for Implementation of the Nagoya Protocol on Access to Genetic Resources and Benefit Sharing in Uganda". The development goal of the project is to conserve Uganda's genetic resources and associated traditional knowledge and access and share the benefits arising out of their utilization in an equitable and sustainable way while the project objective is to strengthen institutional capacity for effective implementation of the Nagoya Protocol and conduct effective awareness campaigns on Access to Genetic Resources and Benefit Sharing (ABS) in Uganda.
The project will have two site offices; one in Karamoja in north eastern Uganda targeting indigenous peoples and Local communities in the Karamoja region while the other will be in South Western Uganda targeting the Batwa community leaving around Bwindi Impenetrable Forest and Mgahinga Gorilla National Parks. The Karamoja field be hosted by Karamoja Women Cultural Group (KWCG) while the United Organization for Batwa Development in Uganda (UOBDU) will host the field office for South Western Uganda.
To ensure effective and efficient delivery of project outputs and outcomes, NEMA is seeking to recruit competent staff stated below for the Project Management Unit (PMU).
NEMA invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacant positions:
Job Ref : NEMA/ADV /EXT /15/2021
Title: Driver (Under ABS Project)
Reports to :Project Manager
Scale : E7
Job purpose: To transport staff and documents to partners as required
The driver is responsible for timely and safe transportation of project team, delivery of documents and any other item(s) as may be required.
• Provide safe driving services to staff to various locations including travel to field areas
• Logging official trips, daily mileage, gas/fuel consumption among others
• Ensuring that the vehicle is serviced on time
• Ensuring that the vehicle is properly maintained and kept clean at all times
• Follow the rules and procedures on the management of the vehicle as required
• Ensuring that his/her driving license is valid at all times
• Adhering to and following traffic regulations at all times
• Promptly report cases of damage to the vehicle or accident for purposes of enabling the supervisor to intervene in a timely manner
• Regularly inspect the validity of the vehicle's license, insurance, and inform the immediate supervisor when the renewal is due
• Delivering documents and related materials while safe carrying of documents, parcels or
other materials entrusted to him for transporting as assigned by the supervisor;
• Assists in logistical preparations as and when necessary
• Perform official errands as required
• Performs any other tasks as assigned
• Qualifications: A minimum of Uganda Certificate of Education. Any other additional relevant qualifications are an added advantage.
• Should have at least a minimum of3 (three) years' work experience, 2 of which must be in similar position in a reputable organization or government.
• At least two classes of either CH, DH, DM or E is essential.
• Skills in mechanics and defensive driving are essential;
Competencies and skills
• Have good communication skills
• Knowledge of road safety rules
• Ability and experience in driving on bad roads
• Honesty and transparency
• Ability to drive long distances
• Fluency in English (written and spoken)
•Good communication, writing and reporting skills
• Versatile and good at team work
• Basic elementary knowledge of motor vehicles mechanics including being undertake minor repairs able to
Duty station: Kampala, with extensive field visits to project sites
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: High School
Job application procedure
Potential Candidates should submit applications in their own handwriting and deliver them by hand, through post office or by email enclosing copies of CERTIFIED certificates/transcripts and detailed curriculum vitae indicating 3 referees addressed to:
The Executive Director
National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) NEMA House, Plot J 71/9121 Jinja Road
To reach the above address by 5.00 pm on 10th December 2021.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.