Intervention Manager, MSE Finance
Jobs at:FSD Uganda
Deadline of this Job:
Tuesday, September 26 2023
Date Posted: Tuesday, September 19 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
About this role
The role holder is responsible for leading, coordinating and managing the implementation of interventions within the Mastercard Foundation MSE Recovery Program
• Strategy and Programming: Participate in the development of strategy and program plans for the MSE Recovery Funds; seeking to support financial service providers, digital platforms, and value chain actors in the financial sector to develop more innovative and appropriate financial products and business models that will support financial services at an affordable cost:
• Act as FSD Uganda's expert in MSE financing, and a leading source of expertise for FSD Uganda's staff and partners; take responsibility for developing the target sectors in a meaningful and intentional manner.
• Support the MSME Pillar Head in thinking through the strategies to support FSD Uganda’s partners in the development of innovative and appropriate financial products and business models targeted at the financial sector.
• Develop a portfolio of initiatives in the Financial Sector that can lead to greater uptake of digital financial services (savings, credit, insurance, payments).
• Relationship Management & Communications: Strategically manage relationships with stakeholders who can influence change in the Financial Services sector, with identified Partners; implement aspects of the communications plan that are relevant to the targeted market segments:
• Ensure a good understanding of how achievement of FSD Uganda’s goals in the targeted market segments are dependent upon effective influencing and communication; participate in the development of impactful strategies and plans.
• Manage, coordinate, and build effective working relationships with all stakeholders involved in assigned interventions; swiftly escalate any problems to the MSME Pillar Head/ Director of Programs.
• Contribute to the implementation of FSD Uganda Communication & Influencing plans. Including, but not limited to:
• Organising forums and events - workshops, conferences, webinars - may include developing workshops, webinars, educational materials etc.
• Networking & bringing stakeholders together for collaboration & collective action (convening).
• Producing knowledge products and other communication outputs (publications, blogs, digital or media materials etc.).
• Contributing to the development of annual and quarterly reports/ newsletters.
• Portfolio Management: Lead the development of the MSE portfolio:
• Work collaboratively with the team to develop relevant sub-portfolios of work; aiming to selectively invest funds towards interventions with the best chance of driving the gender inclusive results, impact, and learning agenda of FSDU’s strategy.
• Once an intervention is approved, confirm, or develop the strategy for attracting potentially impactful implementing partners (IPs):
• Proactively approach influential stakeholders who have been identified via market systems analysis, ensuring a good understanding of their needs & determining fit with FSDU's strategic objectives.
• Provide business development and impact management advice and support to partner; support them in processing feedback on their drafted proposals.
• Liaise with the designated Fund manager to ensure that due diligence and contracting processes are carried out efficiently, and that partners are provided with a quality briefing concerning FSD Uganda’s procedures for project / grant management.
• Managing Results & Learning: Manage the delivery of partners, so that results are achieved and quality program interventions are delivered; ensuring that learning from program interventions is fully utilised to maximise impact and innovation:
• Provide technical advisory services to PFIs &/or engage with them to check their satisfaction with any services or capacity building that have been delivered.
• Provide business advisory services in case of PFIs and partners experiencing difficulties; including adjusting project plans as necessary.
• Manage and coordinate the entire schedule of reviews and visits (program, M&E and financial accountability) as necessary to adaptively manage the performance of interventions and achieve targeted outcomes and impact.
• Review accountability reports provided by the PFIs; produce accompanying reports as per results measurement plan (up to and including 1 year after project closure).
• Collaborate closely with the M&E team to ensure collection of data, analysis of results and identification of opportunities for improvement in a blame-free spirit of academic enquiry:
• If desired results have been achieved, initiate strategies for widespread awareness-raising.
• If desired results have not been achieved, either manage performance of the implementation team teams or take corrective measures.
Risk and Resource Management: Manage the resources associated with the portfolio; ensuring that each intervention achieves optimal financial efficiency, value for money, and impact, all the while ensuring compliance with FSD Uganda and MCF policies:
• Ensure the development of detailed implementation plans, budgets and cash-flow forecasts that will, achieve fund utilisation targets, ensure intervention success, and address capacity gaps of partners.
• Manage the risks associated with all portfolio activities; ensuring that a comprehensive understanding of risks has been developed and that strategies are in place and implemented for effective risk management:
• Ensure that the MSME Pillar Head/ Director of Programs is updated on a regular basis and alerted of any risks.
• Ensure that key policies e.g., Safeguarding, VfM and Gender are fully understood and implemented by all Staff, PFIs and Partners
• Cooperate with both internal and external audit plans; lead the implementation of corrective actions arising and create a culture of continuous improvement.
• Specifications For the Role
• A bachelor’s degree in any field.
• A master’s degree in development economics, Business Administration or relevant other would be an added advantage.
• Certification in Project Management (e.g., PMP/ PRINCE2) preferred.
• At least 8 years of demonstrable experience, at least 3 of which should be in the financial sector.
• Experience of business leadership, resulting in an ability to empathise with, and provide experience-based advice to Implementing Partners.
• Demonstrable understanding of digital financial services, financial inclusion, market research and business gap analysis.
• Demonstrated experience working in the private sector providing innovative financial services; experience of agricultural finance preferred.
Critical Technical Skills & Knowledge:
• Good general knowledge of financial management practice and high ethical & financial standards for managing funds.
• Understanding of monitoring and results management concepts and processes; track record of using learning to drive innovation.
• Excellent spoken and written English language communication skills.
Behavioural Competencies or Character:
• Initiative & Decisiveness - Level 2
• Innovation & Value Addition - Level 2
• Drive for Results - Level 3
• Relationship Building - Level 2
• Communication & Influencing for Impact - Level 3
• Thought Leadership - Level 3
• Learning & Resourcefulness - Level 2
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 96
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Application procedure: Email your curriculum vitae and cover letter to email@example.com. The email subject line should be; Application for the Intervention Manager, MSE Finance Position. Deadline for receiving applications is 26 September 2023.
FSD Uganda is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people with disabilities and others that fit the profile above are encouraged to apply.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.