Jobs at:Makerere University - School of Public Health
Deadline of this Job:
Monday, May 08 2023
Date Posted: Friday, May 05 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Makerere University School of Public Health (MakSPH) in collaboration with The AIDS Support Organisation (TASO) Uganda funded by the Global Fund is implementing a repeat survey of the HIV, sexual and reproductive health and gender-based violence status of AGYW aged 10-24 years in selected regions of the country in16 priority districts. The objective of the study is to evaluate if the interventions for AGYW have created changes in the desired impact in terms of behavioural and bio marker indicators. We will also do an Impact evaluation to assess the impact of the AGYWHIV prevention interventions to compare changes in the selected behavioural and biomarker indicator and document the extent to which changes are due to the AGYW HIV prevention interventions implemented in those districts.
Findings from this study will inform continued implementation of AGYW interventions in Uganda and generate data necessary to assess trends in risk behaviours and the sero-prevalence of HIV and syphilis among AGYW; provide an update on the current status of implementation of the AGYW project; show whether there is value for money based on activities implemented so far and show whether or not AGYW interventions have created the desired changes.
This study will use both quantitative and qualitative methodologies and will be conducted in 14 districts in purposively selected regions of Uganda. The districts are Kisoro in South Western Uganda, Tororo, Busia, Jinja, Bukwo, Mbale, Bugiri in Eastern Uganda, Nakasongola, Kalangala, Buikwe in Central Uganda, Hoima in Western Uganda, Amolatar and Otuke in Northern Uganda. We therefore seek to recruit a team of Research assistants, Nurse Counsellors and Laboratory technologists to conduct the data collection activities.
Job title: Laboratory Technician
Reports to the Study Coordinator
Key duties and responsibilities
• Draw blood for HIV and syphilis testing
• Run rapid HIV and syphilis tests
• Participate in interpreting HIV and syphilis results
• Prepare samples for confirmatory HIV testing and ensure they are safely packed for delivery to the Central Public Health Laboratory
• Participate in field data collection as case may be
• Any other duties assigned by the data collection team leaders or the Study Coordinator
Knowledge, skills and competences
• Suitable applicants MUST possess a degree of Bachelor of Biomedical Laboratory Technology. Individuals that possess a Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology or a related field with more than three years’ experience in HIV and/or Syphilis testing may also be considered for this position
• Must have at least 2 years’ experience in conducting HIV and syphilis testing at static clinics and outreach sites and conversant with rapid HIV and syphilis testing methodologies
• Possession of a Certificate in Good Laboratory Practices is an added advantage.
• Prior experience with collection of blood samples in a community survey is an added advantage
• Excellent communication skills with patients and ability to explain sample collection procedures to clients
• Prior experience with working with adolescents is an added advantage
• Proficiency in both spoken and written English
• Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to follow study specific procedures and guidelines reliably
• Ability to spend an extended period of time in rural areas and away from home
• Willing to make regular trips to health facilities in the survey districts
• Ability to work under stringent deadlines and independently with minimal supervision
• Good interpersonal skills and willingness to work in a team.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Period of contract: Short term (not more than one month).
Note: Recruitment of Research Assistants will be based on the above-mentioned study regions. Candidates should indicate their region of preference in relation to the language that they are fluent in as they apply for this position. For all the positions above knowledge and skills in electronic data collection is must.
How to apply: Interested persons should send their updated CVs stating one referee and their contacts to the Dean, Makerere University School of Public Health at email@example.com not later than Monday, May 8th 2023, and 5.00 pm. Please indicate the study name AGYW3 and your name in the subject part of your email.
NB: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.