Jobs at:Action Against Hunger
Deadline of this Job:
31 May 2023
Date Posted: Friday, May 26, 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Nutrition Officer is responsible for supporting health workers, village health teams and communities to ensure early identification, referral and management of malnutrition in beneficiary communities. S/he will support all community activities at the field level which include nutrition screening, active case finding, referral and follow up by VHTs; care group activities in liaison with the Health Assistant community mobilization and sensitization. Other key deliverables include supporting capacity building activities for community structures (VHTs and Lead mothers)
Key Duties & Responsibilities
• Support health workers at selected health facilities and during established outreaches to manage and refer severe acute malnutrition among children under five and pregnant and lactating mothers according to the Ministry of Health Uganda IMAM guidelines.
• Ensure that health facilities and VHTs are supported with equipment, reporting tools and other logistical needs necessary for screening, management and referral of malnutrition among the targeted beneficiaries
• Ensure complete and effective referrals for identified malnourished children under 5 and pregnant and lactating women
• Assist in the development and dissemination of IEC materials on IMAM and IYCF
• Conduct sensitization sessions on nutrition and health education with key essential nutrition actions, infant and young child feeding and prevention of hygiene related diseases in refugee settlements and host communities
• Oversee that the linkages between community based health structures for early case identification, referral and management of acute malnutrition and common childhood illnesses are strengthened.
• Ensure functionality of the IYCF corners within health facilities.
• Strengthen the linkages between community based health structures for early case identification, referral and management of Moderate Acute Malnutrition.
• Liaise with the Health Assistants to ensure that VHTs are selected in all project locations following the recommended MOH guidelines
• Liaise with the district local government and other partners to ensure to organize and conduct VHT monthly and quarterly meetings
• Ensure the implementation of mother care groups approach in the areas of implementation by supporting the Nutrition Assistant and community Based Facilitators in the identification of care groups, selection of house hold support groups and behavior change promotion among the communities.
• Ensure that management of MAM component is part of the integrated health out reaches
• Organize a capacity development action plan for VHTs
• Monitor VHT knowledge gap for all VHTs and build their capacities regarding the needs assessed
• Facilitate beneficiary identification of children 24-59 months in the targeted settlements
• Support active case finding, referral and follow up for acute malnutrition and common childhood illnesses at health facility and community level
• Supervise VHTs during distribution, and carry out on job support and supervision for VHTs on IYCF
• Assist in the development and dissemination of relevant IEC materials on nutrition activities such as IYCF, ENA
• Develop concept notes for the drama groups and community dialogues for community sensitization
• Strengthen the link between referrals and follow up of beneficiaries from community to health facilities
• Facilitate capacity building activities (mentorship, CMEs, trainings) targeting health workers, village health teams and district health teams to provide effective management of malnutrition
• Assist in mentoring and coaching of health workers on treatment and management of acute malnutrition in accordance with IMAM guidelines and protocol.
• Assist the mentorship of health workers and support teams on implementation of IYCF corners
• Organize a refresher training for VHTs on nutrition and health
• Train and support mentorships for VHTs
• Participate in development of IECs materials on nutrition sensitization
• Assist in regular on-job mentorship and support of VHTs and health Assistants
• Train and support lead mothers on comprehensive nutrition package
• Conduct on-job mentoring of lead mothers
• Ensure that the care groups are equipped with the necessary tools that they need for the implementation of activities such as meetings, modular trainings and conducting food demonstrations.
Assessment and reporting
• Participate in beneficiary identification and rapid nutrition assessment and nutrition surveillance
• Support the compilation of nutrition updates and reports at all levels
• Oversee the collection, handling, analysis and reporting of data related to nutrition screening, client follow up and NFIs in accordance the MOH guidelines and HMIS tools
• Prepare quality weekly and monthly reports in standard reporting format, project progress, success stories and lessons learned during project implementation.
• Participate in all project review assessments, surveys and studies including Monthly & Quarterly donor reports, Action Against Hunger internal reports (Project Activity Reports (APRs), SITREP) and activity reports (cooking demonstrations, meetings, community dialogues and drama shows and any other activity)
• Participate in the periodic Weight for Height nutrition screening to assess for GAM level in the community
• Ensure regular collection of household nutrition data, compilation and reporting
• Ensure regular and timely monthly reporting among the VHTs on the project activities in the catchment area.
• Ensure the timely and effective reporting of information from the mother care groups
Staff Management & Supervision
• Ensure that staff under your supervision are effectively engaged in their tasks and perform their duties according to Action Against Hunger expectations
• Organize and facilitate regular meetings with VHTs, assess their performance and provide regular feedback on the matters discussed
• Identify and propose training needs of VHTs in accordance to the program requirements
• Conduct on the job mentorship and supervision for the VHTs
• Ensure that staff under your supervison develop quarterly activity workplans and adhere to them
• Identify training needs of staff under your supervision and suggest an appropriate training plan
Coordination & Representation
• Mobilize communities and community leaders to participate in Action Against Hunger project community activities and organize regular community meetings to address areas for program improvement
• Participate in internal and external meetings according to the DPM guidance
• Actively participate in events organized in the refugee and host community settings
• Attend interagency meetings and field visits as required by the DPM
• Other duties as assigned from time to time
Engagement: (The focus of interaction both internally and externally needed to deliver a service seek collaboration and build effective partnerships)
• Assistant Program Manager: Direct supervisor, Technical support, Information sharing.
• Program Manager: Supervisor, Technical support, Information sharing.
• Governmental and non-governmental partners: Exchange of information, coordination, representation
• Other NGOs: technical relationship at field level, coordination of activities at field level.
• Monthly reports quarterly, and final donor reports as required by the grant.
• Monthly technical reports, APR Monitoring reports
• Weekly reports
• Learning documents and case studies
• Bachelor degree in Nutrition or related field from a recognized institute
• 3 years’ experience in implementing a project on IMAM with emphasis on Community Based Supplementary Programs and Maternal Child Health Program.
• Extensive knowledge and experience in implementation of community nutrition and health programs with demonstrated leadership for IYCF, SFP and MCHN program.
• Strong communication skills (written and oral) in English
• Knowledge of word processor, spreadsheet and software use like ENA, SPSS plus other programs advantageous
• Demonstrated experience and/or personal commitment to promoting gender equality within the work
• Demonstrated leadership skills
• Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently
• Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations
• Excellent reporting skills with good oral and written communication skills
• Knowledge of the local language is an added advantage
• Diplomatic and culturally sensitive
• Fluency in written and spoken English
• Fluency in the local language is an added advantage
• Ability to ride a motorcycle and possession of a valid riding permit is a must
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested and Qualified? Click here to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.