Jobs at:U.S Embassy
Deadline of this Job:
30 September 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Announcement Number: Kampala-2022-038
Position Title: Trades Helper (Chancery/GSO Warehouse)
Opening Period: 9/15/2022 – 09/30/2022
Series/Grade: FSN 03/FP-CC
Salary: UGX 30,520,491
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants / All Sources (Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Trades Helper (Chancery/GSO Warehouse).
The work schedule for this position is:
• Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Download: Detailed Position Description | PD, Trades Helper
Duties: Employed as a Trades Helper to assist the skilled technicians as they carry out skilled maintenance and repair work on all facilities throughout the Chancery/GSO Warehouse to include office buildings, grounds and residential owned/leased properties. Work assignments will be directed by the Building Engineer Supervisor.
1. Operations & Maintenance Support 95%
1. Provides assistance to the technicians of the skilled workshops to help them in routine mechanical, carpentry, electrical and plumbing maintenance and preventive maintenance, repairs, and installations.
2. Assists in various manual tasks such as: demolition work, painting, plumbing, carpentry work, routine and preventive maintenance, and general cleanup of work areas, and common use areas of the Chancery/GSO Warehouse.
3. Uses hand and power tools under the supervision of the skilled technicians and mechanics as necessary.
4. Prepares worksite and maintains tools and equipment. Brings tools, supplies and materials to work site as directed by the skilled technicians; cleans the work site at the completion of the task; loads and unloads materials and tools and also loads construction debris into dump truck.
5. Perform unskilled tasks such as common laborer work, material handling, grounds maintenance and gardening work.
6. Performs miscellaneous tasks and duties in support of Facilities maintenance operations during busy house make ready schedules, emergency office cleaning and repairs which includes sweeping, mopping and waxing floors, vacuuming carpets, dusting/ polishing furniture, cleaning windowpanes and sweeping walkways and pavements. Reports appliance/equipment and major repair problems to supervisor, maintains cleaning tools, equipment and materials in good condition
1. Logistic Support 5%
1. Performs escort duties for local contractors as required.
2. Reports installation deficiencies and maintenance/repair needs to supervisor.
3. Performs other collateral duties as assigned by the Building Engineer Supervisor.
4. Will perform incidental driving duties to transport tools, equipment and personnel to the work sites.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Completion of secondary school is required.
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of two (2) years of maintenance or construction semi-skilled work experience in skilled trades such as mechanical (HVAC and Plumbing), electrical, carpentry, with significant focus on building systems.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Must have a basic technical understanding of major building mechanical systems and equipment. Must be familiar with construction techniques and workplace safety, personal protective equipment (PPE) – how and when to use it.
Evaluations: (This may be tested)
LANGUAGE: English level II (Limited knowledge) Written/Speaking/Reading is required.
Luganda level III (Good knowledge) Written/Speaking/Reading is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: The incumbent must be a visionary, forward thinker, and quick understudy with an aptitude to learn so he/she can anticipate the materials and tools the skilled technician will need ahead of time. Must be able to use the typical lot of hand tools, small handheld power tools, vacuum cleaners, gardening tools, and ladders; must be adept at keeping work sites free of clutter and debris, clean and neat; must have a valid driver’s license for standard vehicles; must use good safety practices and follow all safety requirements in execution of tasks and be able to use all appropriate PPE; additional abilities include responding to emergency situations in an efficient and timely manner to effect immediate repairs; work in various adverse conditions such as tight or enclosed spaces, heights, and temperature extremes, indoors or outdoors to complete work assignments; must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks; be able to take direction and must be organized; communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, contractors and vendors to obtain and provide pertinent information.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active-duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
1. All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link below:
2. For further assistance call 0414-306001
3. You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
4. On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.