Advisor on Political Participation (Governance and Civil Society Programme-CUSP)
Deadline of this Job:
14 March 2021
Date Posted: Friday, February 26, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) has commissioned the Geseiischaft for Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) with the Programme "Strengthening Governance and Civil Society in Uganda", co-funded by the European Union.
The main objective of the programme is that selected state and civil society actors in Uganda are in better position to work towards the compliance with human rights and governance principles (transparency, accountability, efﬁcient and effective management and political participation) in their respective areas of responsibility. Structurally, the programme focuses on 3 main components: 1) Strengthening Accountability 2) Strengthening Human Rights and 3) Strengthening Civil Society. In the area of civil society support, GIZ, co-funded by the EU, focusses on: (1) creating an enabling environment, (2) foster political participation and (3) capacity building for civil society organizations (CSO). CUSP follows a speciﬁc approach utilizing the experience already made at the level of certain GIZ sector support and development programmes as well as of the EU National indicative Programme (NIP).
The programme component (1) creating an enabling environment cooperates closely with the other programme components (2) foster political participation and (3) capacity 2 building for C505 which are primarily implemented through the 3 hubs in Central Uganda (Kampala), Gulu, Mbale, and South Western Uganda, and satellite ofﬁces in Arua and Moroto
GIZ is recruiting an Advisor on Political Participation to support the implementation of its programme.
Title: Advisor on Political Participation (Governance and Civil Society Programme)
Reports to: Head of Component CUSP Kampala
Contract duration: Until December 2021 with the option of extension
Ref. No: GIZ-CUSP/A/022109
We encourage women, people with disabilities and minority groups to apply for this position.GIZ is committed to equal opportunities and diversity of perspective at the working place..
Advisor on Political Participation will be in charge of:
• Day to day organization with focus on political participation on national level in close coordination with the line manager.
• Planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of activities on national level in line with the mandate of the programme.
• Representation of the programme together with the line manager in close cooperation with all relevant actors active in the ﬁeld and the region.
Strategic conceptual work:
• Mapping of existing CSOs and CSO platforms on different perspectives and sectors.
• Establish partnerships with and support institutional capacity development to national network platforms and CSOs, particularly aimed at strengthening their internal governance, work processes and networking on political participation.
• Establish partnerships with OPM (Ofﬁce of Prime Minster), the NPA (National Planning Authority) as well as with other relevant " ministries.
• Launch fora and processes as well as mechanisms for consultation between state and non-state actors
• Advise and support the advisors in the decentralized Hubs on political participation.
• Implement innovative advisory services strengthening CSO engagement with regards to political participation in different sectors (governance, water, energy and agriculture sectors).
• Advise on strengthening CSO engagement with regards to social accountability mechanisms in different sectors (governance, water, energy and agriculture)
• Ensure timely and smooth communication between programme partners and within the programme.
• Internal and external representation of the programme in coordination with the line management.
Administration and Reporting:
• Support programme activities, outputs and outcomes.
• Support the reporting according to EU standards.
• Take over administrative tasks for a smooth implementation of the programme.
Other Duties/Additional Tasks
• Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
• University Degree (minimum MSc or MA) in a relevant ﬁeld, preferably in Law, Political Science, Social Science or Development Studies.
• Minimum 3 years’ professional experience in participation of civil society.
• Experience in qualitative and quantitative research, data collection and data analysis,
• Knowledge in results based management.
• Working experience in civil society organizations or governmental institutions.
• Very good knowledge of English, knowledge of German is an added value.
• Excellent people skills and ability to negotiate between different stakeholder groups.
• Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Self-drive, creativity, and problem-solving capacity are required, able to work independent, responsible and target oriented.
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by email to email@example.com .
Applications and CVs should be in one document and a maximum of 5 pages only. Please include name and contact of three references in the CVs. Please quote the position and reference number in the subject line. Applications should be received by 5.00pm on the 14th March 2021.
Please note: This is a national position. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted
We encourage women, people with disabilities and minority groups to apply for this position. GIZ Is committed to equal opportunities and diversity of perspective at the working place.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.