Jobs at:Infectious Diseases Institute
Deadline of this Job:
30th June 2019
Date Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2019 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The mission of the Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is to strengthen health systems in Africa, with a strong emphasis on infectious diseases through research and capacity development. IDI has five operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research, Laboratory services (including the CAP-certified IDI Core Lab) and Outreach.
IDI has received funding from the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (LSTM) to conduct research on antimicrobial resistance (AMR) in Malawi and Uganda.
The goal of this research project is to take an interdisciplinary approach to determine the drivers of transmission of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL)-producing Escherichia coli and ESBL Klebsiella pneumoniae in Kampala and Hoima districts. To model the drivers of AMR-transmission, the project will undertake detailed, longitudinal microbiological surveillance of humans, animals and the environment to understand the dynamics of ESBL-E. coli and ESBL-K. pneumoniae and their ecological niche. The laboratory-based work for the project involves screening of human (blood and faecal), animal (faecal) and environmental specimens for the target organisms using molecular and phenotypic methods.
In order to achieve the above objectives, IDI seeks to recruit motivated and competent individuals for a number of positions as indicated below;
Key Roles and Responsibilities
• Assist the designated Field Officers with:
o implementation of study protocols, planning and problem-solving at the community surveillance sites in Hoima and Kampala
o mobilization of participants and administration of questionnaires according to established standard operating procedures
o efficient collection of samples and data (human, animal, and environment) from the field according to established standard operating procedures
• Participate in maintenance and documentation of all daily field site-specific activities updates during the study
• Document and submit information about fieldwork progress, activity and performance reports to the Field Officers
Job Skills: Not Specified
Required Qualifications and Experience;
• A minimum of a Diploma in any of the following: social science, veterinarian science, laboratory technologist, environmental science or any other related discipline.
• Any research related and data collection training/course is an added advantage.
• Basic computer skills and Knowledge and familiarity in using electronics/equipment (e.g., tablets/office equipment) for data collection.
• Knowledge of the local languages (English, Runyoro-Kitara, Luganda) will be an added advantage. Team player and ability to work with limited supervision
• Ability to work in a team environment
• Excellent communication skills
• Demonstrated track experience of data collection in any research, development organization
• Experience in community mobilization and community engagement
• At least 1 year of working in data collection field activities
• Ability to work for long hours and out of schedule
Job Education Requirements: Diploma
Job Experience Requirements: Not specified
Job application procedure
IDI will offer a competitive remuneration package to the successful candidate. Candidates that know that they meet the above criteria and have what it takes to excel in the above position, please send their CVs, which should include details of email address (if any), present position, current remuneration, Certificate/testimonials and address of three (3) Referees plus telephone contact to the stipulated email address not later than 25th June, 2019. (Email your application and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and let’s save the environment).
• IDI is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge a recruitment fee or any other fees at any stage of the recruitment process
• Internal candidates who meet the required specifications and have worked with IDI for a period of at least one year will be given priority.
• Make sure that your application letter, CV and certificates are attached as one document
• Indicate the Vacancy Code as the subject for your email
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
• Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
The Senior Human Resource Manager
Infectious Diseases Institute — IDI Knowledge Centre, Makerere University Main Campus; College of Health Sciences, Makerere University
P.O. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda