National Policy and Liaison Officer (NOA)
Jobs at:International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Deadline of this Job:
11 August 2021
Date Posted: Monday, August 02, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Position Title : National Policy and Liaison Officer (NOA)
Reference No : SVN/UG/004/2021
Duty Station : Kampala, Uganda
Classification : National Officers, NOA
Type of Appointment : Special Short -Term Contract, 6 Months (with possibility of extension)
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 11th August 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates
Background and Context:
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, and the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator and close in close coordination with the relevant units the National Policy and Liaison Officer will be responsible for assisting with the smooth and timely implementation of IOM’s activities in IOM Kampala.
In particular, the successful candidate will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
• Monitor national and regional trends, policies and legislative frameworks related to migration to inform and advise the Country Office.
• Facilitate regular exchange of information with relevant government stakeholders at the national and sub-national level. Systematically track and follow-up on engagements with Government and other stakeholders.
• Prepare talking points and minutes of relevant meetings in close coordination with the PCSU, the Head of Programmes and Operations as well as relevant Programme Managers.
• Follow-up on letters and requests sent to Government and other stakeholders and act as focal point for questions and clarifications, as requested by stakeholders.
• Support Programme Mangers in the organization of relevant events and ensure coordination with relevant government and other stakeholders as well as ensure relevant protocol is established and followed accordingly. Assist with the programme teams in obtaining necessary Government clearance and permissions.
• Promote the participation of relevant national actors and other key stakeholders in events organized, led or coordinated by IOM such as strategic meetings, workshop or trainings as necessary. Organize and/or facilitate those events as needed.
• Follow up with the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) for its commitment to fulfilling Uganda’s financial administrative contributions, as per Article 20 of the IOM constitution.
• Participate in relevant Government coordination platforms as appropriate and in close coordination with the relevant Programme Managers.
• Lead the compilation of regular updates (newsletters, reports, etc.) data analysis and accurate information on project progress, activities’ completion and project performance indicators for donor reporting, as well as other internal and external reports and updates, in response to internal or external requests.
• Inform relevant IOM Ugandan staff on significant developments, priorities and decisions by the Government of Uganda in the area of migration management and which might have an impact on IOM’s programming.
• Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Completed Master’s degree in International Relations, Political Science, or a related field from an accredited academic institution
Completed University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience working in international organizations or the Government is required.
• Experience in project implementation an advantage.
• Strong knowledge of the structures and operating models of the Government is a strong asset.
• Experience in the preparation of Talking Points for high-level meetings is desirable.
• Knowledge of migration management policies, strategies, and experience in implementing emergency response.
• Ability to engage national and district level partners.
Fluency in English and working knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following behavioral competencies:
• Accountability- Takes ownership for achieving the organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delighted work.
• Communication – Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
• Teamwork – Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results – produces and delivers quality services in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge– Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Interested applicants may send their applications to email@example.com no later than 11th August 2021. Reference Number and Position Title (SVN/UG/004/2021 – National Policy and Liaison Officer) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.