- Notify Me
- All Jobs
- Contact us
Regional Political Officer
Jobs at:British High Commission
Deadline of this Job:
11 November 2019
Date Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2019 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer‘ We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly ﬂexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Regional Political Officer
The Regional Political Ofﬁcer will work closely with the C4 Regional Political officer and the Head of the Political team and your advice will help inform the work of the High Commission. The role will focus on the providing analysis and advice on regional politics, particularly Rwanda. DRC, South Sudan, Burundi and Somalia and much of your time will be spent growing your network, meeting people (sometimes very senior figures) and gathering information. The incumbent will be an enthusiastic selfstarter. capable of managing their own workload and willing to get involved in a broad range of High Commission activity.
The incumbent should have an excellent knowledge of national and regional history, current affairs and politics and come with a broad range of contacts, with the ability to provide balanced and nuanced analysis on a range of issues across the full spectrum of regional politics..
• To advise the political team on the external political situation and regional developments affecting Uganda.
• To undertake research as required for the Political Team and to give advice using appropriate written and oral reporting. To keep the High Commission closely informed about key political issues across the region.
• To arrange and attend political meetings, alone and with senior staff, gather information and communicate elements of UK policy. Build and maintain a strong network of key contacts.
• To take minutes as/when required, and to produce meeting reports to inform the Political Team in a timely and appropriate manner.
• To take action on matters arising from internal and external meetings, ensuring that key actions are progressed and that information is disseminated to all team members. This work could include strategy, analysis and consulting on policy.
• To ensure that team members and visitors are briefed for meetings, including, where necessary, meetings with external contacts and odies.
• Support the B3 Political Officer who focuses on domestics politics to flexibly respond to a wide range of UK government priorities. This may require the job holder to quickly get up to speed on a new policy area.
• Other support to the Political Team which may include administrative work, assisting with the preparation of visit programs, meeting agendas, and related tasks.
• Play a wider corporate role in the High Commission.
Essential qualiﬁcations, skills and experience
• High level of people skills — leadership, networking, management, organisation
• Strong problem solving skills, including close attention to detail and the ability to prioritise in a fast paced environment
• Excellent communication skills
• written, oral, one to one, group, formal presentation
• ability to vary style, pace and presentation to suit the audience.
• Ability and willingness to undergo security vetting process
Desirable qualiﬁcations, skills and experience
• Sound knowledge and understanding of national and regional politics and history
• A university degree in political studies, international relations. social sciences or a related ﬁeld.
• Minimum 5 years work experience.
• Knowledge of Uganda's political, economic, social environments including key institutions and persons in Government, Parliament, Academia, Media and civil society
• Experience in report writing, note taking and event planning
Seeing the Big Picture, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace
The gross monthly salary tor this position is Uganda Shillings UGX 4,837,804
Application deadline 11 November 2019.
Grade B3 (L)
Start Date 2 January 2020
Job Education Requirements: Degree
Job Experience Requirements: 5 years
Job application procedure
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through https://fco.tal.net/vx/appcentre-ext/brand-2/candidate/so/pm/4/pl/1/opp/10741-Regional-Political-of%EF%AC%81cer-B3-16-19-KPL-AU/en-GB
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join.