Jobs at:International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
Deadline of this Job:
16 September 2021
Date Posted: Friday, August 20, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
On behalf of the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), the Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT is now seeking for a qualified candidate to serve as a Research Fellow-Feeds and Forage. Both ILRI and The Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT are CGIAR Research Centers.
For further information on ILRI, consult the website at: http://www.ilri.org
The Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) delivers research-based solutions that harness agricultural biodiversity and sustainably transform food systems to improve people’s lives. Alliance solutions address the global crises of malnutrition, climate change, biodiversity loss, and environmental degradation. With novel partnerships, the Alliance generates evidence and mainstreams innovations to transform food systems and landscapes so that they sustain the planet, drive prosperity, and nourish people in a climate crisis.
The Alliance is part of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food-secure future
About the position
Reporting to the Scientist and Senior Scientist at ILRI, the Research Associate will provide support to projects implemented under the Neglected Zoonoses theme within the BMZ funded project One Health Centre in Africa (OHRECA) predominately in Uganda. The position will facilitate focus group discussions, train enumerators, facilitate workshops, collect and analyze data, assist in designing data collection tools and participate in writing reports and peer-reviewed manuscripts.
• Support the theme lead (NZDs) with implementing research activities within the NZD portfolio
• T. solium cysticercosis
• Support post-doc research assistant in data collection for T. solium prevalence in Uganda; including undertaking partial carcass dissection, collecting blood samples from pigs, running antigen ELISAs and bio-banking samples with minimal supervision
o Support the OHRECA post-doc to facilitate focus group discussions, key informant interviews and collect KAP data from farmers and other value chain actors to inform design of T. solium control strategies
o Under supervision of Emily Ouma, identify and train enumerators for pork value chain analysis, facilitate FGDs and KIIs to collect data for value chain analysis
o Facilitate SD modelling workshops, lead transcription of interview recordings and data entry.
o Lead the collection of longitudinal data on parasite burden and weight gain in pigs treated with oxfendazole including data entry and basic data analysis
• Economic burden of Neglected Zoonoses
o Undertake systematic literature reviews under supervision (preparation of protocols and syntax, undertake literature search, screening and data extraction)
• Design, with supervision, data collection tools in ODK for NZD projects as required
• Lead basic data analysis under supervision and participate in
• Participate in writing reports and peer-reviewed manuscripts
• Provide support as required by the theme lead to graduate fellows embedded within the NZD portfolio.
• Support the NZD theme lead and OHRECA team lead with other tasks as requested
• Minimum – Bachelor of veterinary medicine
• Desired – MSc in epidemiology/One Health/ Public Health
• At least 3 years of experience within the fields of veterinary or agricultural sciences, preferably in east Africa
• Experience of field data collection, data analysis and data management
• Demonstrated experience of data analysis with R, understanding of the ethical approval process for data collection in humans and animals, experience of field data collection,
• Experience of basic laboratory techniques (e.g. aliquoting and storing samples, ELISA, DNA extraction)
• Record of publishing in peer-reviewed journals
• Integrity: Honest, above reproach and appropriate in actions / behavior and transparent in conduct.
• Result Oriented/ Focused: Ability to consistently meet set goals. Focused and goal oriented
• Ability to direct others to perform set duties (where relevant).
• Professionalism: Application of ethics, principles, standards, and expertise in all areas of work.
• Teamwork, Interpersonal Relations: Working and relating with others in mutual support and respect towards common goals and shared vision. Build and nurtures strong and authentic reciprocal relationships. Non-domineering or patronizing attitude and /or behavior.
• Multi-cultural fit & Respect for Diversity: An ability to work effectively, respectfully, and inclusively with people from different backgrounds and with different perspectives is critical for all staff members.
• Desired; Clean driving license
• Communication: Ability to express oneself, share and exchange information clearly and in a timely style
• Innovation & Creativity: Ability to generate new ideas and ways of working to continuously improve existing work processes, practices, concepts
Terms of employment
This is a locally recruited position, and all benefits are denominated and paid in Ugandan Shillings. The Alliance of Bioversity CIAT remuneration package includes a competitive salary, leave provisions and medical insurance. The initial contract will be for a period of two (2) years, subject to a probationary period of six months and is renewable based on performance and availability of funds.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Applicants are invited to visit https://ciat.cgiar.org/jobs/ to get full details of the position and to submit their applications which should include letter of application, CV and names/contacts of at least three professional referees. Applications should cite reference number ABC-UG-08 Research Associate – ILRI
Uganda as the position applied for. Applications should be saved as one document using the candidate’s last name, first name for ease of sorting. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Alliance does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The Alliance also does not concern itself with information on applicants' bank accounts.
Closing date for applications: 16/09/2021
We invite you to learn more about us at: http://alliancebioversityciat.org
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.