Social Science Research Assistant
Jobs at:MRC/ UVRI
Deadline of this Job:
21 August 2020
Date Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Unit is an internationally recognised centre of excellence with dominant research themes in the areas of HIV and emerging infections, vaccines and immunity, and chronic diseases and cancer. Through a multidisciplinary approach, intersecting basic science, epidemiologic al research, social-behavioural research and the conduct of new intervention evaluation studies, the Unit contributes knowledge on changing epidemics and diseases, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide. Following the signing of strategic transfer agreements between the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and the Medical Research Council (MRC UK), the Unit formally joined LSHTM on 1st February 2018. The exciting new partnership will boost research capacity into current and emerging health issues in Africa and throughout the world. The Unit is based at the UVRI Entebbe campus with established outposts in Kalungu, Masaka, Wakiso and Kampala Districts. The Unit is now seeking an enthusiastic and experienced individual to fill the following position:
Social Science Research Assistant (01 Position)
Position Code: SSRA -820
Reports to: Project Leader
Station: Masaka with travels to Entebbe
Duration: 6 Months
This position is for a social scientist research assistant in a mixed-methods observational study to assess the feasibility of conducting COVID-19 vaccine trials among healthcare workers in Uganda (COVAP). The position holder will collect accurate data under standard ethical procedures for field studies through the conduct of participant interviews. .
Roles & Responsibilities
• Supervise and assist with administering of Socio-behavioral data collection instruments in the study.
• Ensure non-biased, consistent, complete and accurate data collection across all study participants.
• Supervise and assist with interviewing study participants and conducting in-depth interviews.
• Coordinate the translation and transcription of interviews.
• Respond to data queries.
• Translation of study documents.
• Undertakes any other duties as may be assigned by Supervisor.
• Bachelor’s degree in Social sciences or related.
• Certificate in health education/health promotion, GCP, counselling, research methods are an added advantage.
• At least 2 years’ experience carrying out similar work in a medical research setting, preferably including experience in social and behavioural science research.
• Prior interviewing and facilitation experience is desired.
• In depth knowledge on SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19, especially on prevention and symptomatology.
• Comfortable with discussing topics related to COVID-19 on an individual as well as a group level.
• Basic knowledge on design of qualitative research tools, data collection, handling and reporting.
• Experience in supervision and training of members of a team, including ability to motivate and mentor, maintain positive interpersonal relationships is an added advantage.
• Good presentational skills.
• Highly motivated and team oriented, but also able to work independently.
• Good command of both English and Luganda.
• User knowledge in computer applications.
Job Qualifications: Not Specified
Job Education: Bachelor’s degree
Job Experience: 2 years
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Follow the link below to fill a form and submit your application documentation:
Filling the form more than once will lead to automatic disqualification. High level of integrity while filling the form is required and will be considered during shortlisting.
Deadline for application is 21th August 2020, 5:00pm. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. This position is open to Ugandan nationals only. Strictly follow the application procedure as failure to do so will lead to automatic disqualification.
The applications should be addressed to:
The Head of Human Resources,
MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit,
P.O. Box, 49,
Consider your application unsuccessful if not contacted within eight (8) weeks after the closing date of the advert. Any form of lobbying at any stage will lead to automatic disqualification. By submitting your personal information, you consent to the MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit holding and using it in accordance with its recruitment policy and procedure. The Unit reserves the right to verify documents attached with the relevant awarding institutions to authenticate their validity.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join.