Jobs at:MRC/ UVRI
Deadline of this Job:
10 December 2020
Date Posted: Monday, December 07, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Unit is an internationally recognised centre of excellence with dominant research themes in the areas of HIV and emerging infections, vaccines and immunity, and chronic diseases and cancer. Through a multidisciplinary approach, intersecting basic science, epidemiological research, social-behavioural research and the conduct of new intervention evaluation studies, the Unit contributes knowledge on changing epidemics and diseases, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide. Following the signing of strategic transfer agreements between the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and the Medical Research Council (MRC UK), the Unit formally joined LSHTM on 1st February 2018. The exciting new partnership will boost research capacity into current and emerging health issues in Africa and throughout the world. The Unit is based at the UVRI Entebbe campus with established outposts in Kalungu, Masaka, Wakiso and Kampala Districts. The Unit is now seeking an enthusiastic and experienced individual to fill the following position:
Study Counsellor (01 Position)
Position Code: SC -1120
Reports to: Project Leader
Duration: 6 months
The position will provide high quality counselling to the study participants and ensure that results are given timely to the study participants. .
Roles & Responsibilities
• Provide HIV/AIDS education to study participants;
• Conduct interviews with study participants;
• Conduct physical measurements of study participants;
• Provide counselling to study participants before and after conducting HIV testing;
• Conduct rapid tests for HIV and give results in a timely manner;
• Counsel participants who test HIV positive and link them to care;
• Provide continuous risk reduction counselling for HIV;
• Collect data on the tests performed and enter it in the predesigned forms;
• Perform phlebotomy and prepare any other samples requested by the Project Leader; and,
• Perform any other assignment as requested by the line manager.
Job Skills: Not Specified
• Diploma in counselling;
• Degree qualifications in a related course is an added advantage;
• Short courses on research methods, geriatrics training, GCP training, counselling is an added advantage;
• At least 2 years’ experience working in counselling preferably in a medical research setting;
• Experience in working/ counselling older persons;
• Communication skills with good of English and Luganda; and,
• User knowledge in computer applications.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Follow the link below to fill a form and submit your application documentation: https://redcap.link/CounsellorWOPSVFrm
Also send your CV on email@example.com
Filling the form more than once will lead to automatic disqualification. High level of integrity while filling the form is required and will be considered during shortlisting.
Combine all your application documentation i.e. cover letter, CV & academic documents into one PDF document. Deadline for application is 10th December 2020, 5:00pm. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. This position is open to Ugandan nationals only. Strictly follow the application procedure as failure to do so will lead to automatic disqualification. Only online applications will be accepted.
The applications should be addressed to:
The Head of Human Resources,
MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit,
P.O. Box, 49, Entebbe, Uganda.
Consider your application unsuccessful if not contacted within eight (8) weeks after the closing date of the advert. Any form of lobbying at any stage will lead to automatic disqualification. By submitting your personal information, you consent to the MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit holding and using it in accordance with its recruitment policy and procedure. The Unit reserves the right to verify documents attached with the relevant awarding institutions to authenticate their validity.
MRC/UVRI and LSHTM Uganda research Unit is an equal opportunity employer committed to having a diverse work force and does not ask for money at any stage of recruitment.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.