Jobs at:Education Development Center (EDC)
Deadline of this Job:
15 August 2021
Date Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job title: 2 Drivers - Uganda - ICYD Activity (Jinja)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work. EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives. The ICYD Activity is expected to achieve the following:
1. Children and youth have improved learning outcomes;
2. Children and youth are safe and healthy in their community and learning environments; and
3. Youth practice positive behaviors and are able to make informed decisions about their lives and relationships.
This Activity will address the mutually reinforcing relationship between improving learning outcomes and improving wellbeing and employ a comprehensive approach that merges PEPFAR/OVC’s strengths in acute vulnerability stabilization with education’s broad protective effects.
The Driver will provide transport services, administrative and other logistical support to USAID/Uganda- ICYD Activity staff, visitors and stakeholders in accordance with EDC’s fleet management policy guidelines and procedures. This position reports to the Logistics Assistant. This is a full-time position based in Kampala offices, but will be required to work with cross functional teams within the organization across the country.
• Provide transportation, using EDC vehicles, of goods, staff and other authorized passengers in accordance with EDC policies and procedures;
• Daily operation and maintenance the vehicle assigned to the driver in a manner that ensures the highest degree of safety possible for the vehicle and its passengers;
• Keep accurate and up to date records using the vehicle and fuel log sheets provided;
• Inspect and be vigilant at all times for the detection of any faults and/or damage to the assigned vehicle, whether accidental or otherwise, and submit a written report of such faults and damage as soon as possible to the Supervisor;
• Ensure that EDC policies and procedures for safe vehicle operation and risk mitigation, such as proper use of door locks, parking in secure locations and timing of trips, are followed;
• Submit to the Supervisor the monthly vehicle utilization report summarizing vehicle/fuel use and vehicle repair/maintenance. This report will be accompanied by the fuel and vehicle log sheets for the period of the report;
• Prepare and submit the Weekly Control Sheet to the Supervisor for review and schedule repairs and maintenance as necessary;
• Willing to accept additional responsibilities as assigned from time to time by the Supervisor
Minimum of a UCE certificate or its equivalent, proof of training in defensive driving and basic computer skills.
Skills and Experience:
• Must have a valid driver’s license with all classes and a safe driving record with no traffic violations;
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a professional driver with a reputable organization; experience working on a USAID financed project is a plus;
• Good awareness and commitment to follow all local and national driving laws, rules and regulations;
• High level of integrity and attention to detail;
• Ability to proficiently read, speak and write in English;
• Experience driving four-wheel drive vehicles and driving on unpaved rural roads;
• Practical experience in maintaining vehicles and conducting minor repairs;
• Ability to make frequent up-country travels, often long-distance and sometimes overnight;
• Must have excellent inter-personal skills;
• Ability to remain calm in high-stress situations such as road accidents, bad weather conditions and impatient drivers;
• Must be reliable, dependable, flexible and willing to work beyond routine hours;
• Previous training in safe vehicle operation/defensive driving preferred
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
To apply, Applicants are encouraged to visit the Careers Page at: https://go.edc.org/EDCUgandaJobs
Applications submitted without a resume or CV will not be reviewed.
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
This announcement is made possible by the support of the American People through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The contents of this notice are the sole responsibility of Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC) and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.