Agriculture Team Lead – Extension Coordinator
Jobs at:Raising the Village
Deadline of this Job:
27 September 2021
Date Posted: Monday, September 20, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job Title: Agriculture Team Lead – Extension Coordinator
Reporting to: Head of Programs
Department/Group: Cross - department
Travel Required: 70%
The Agriculture Extension Coordinator will ensure effective planning and design, and successful implementation and supervision of Agriculture extension interventions including cropping and livestock in Raising The Village’s partner communities, as part of our core methodology. This will involve working with our Planning, Evaluation, and Learning (PEAL) team to identify and assess the key needs of Agriculture extension, working with Procurement team for the development and management of contracts in accordance with project budgets and timelines, and collaborating with program staff, local authorities and communities to support Agriculture extension interventions. The incumbent in this role will have strong understanding of composting, organic pesticides, soil and crop management. The incumbent should also be able to advise partner communities on health, nutrition and feeding, hygiene, breeding and care of animals. During implementation of the project's activities, the Agriculture Extension Coordinator will be required to provide feedback to relevant partners and the local authorities with an aim of improving overall quality of Agriculture interventions.
Program Design and innovation
• Support PEAL team to design and plan activities on Agriculture extension.
• Provide new insights on agricultural program innovations especially in the context of climate resilience.
• Review project designs and ensure agricultural components are realistic and feasible to the respective communities based on availability, soil, water, etc. and provide feedback where required.
Procurement and Contract Management
• Develop RFP’s as required.
• Provide technical support in evaluating bids in accordance with RTV policies and procedures, project technical requirements, budgets, timelines, and any other critical factors.
• Preparation of all contracts to be awarded to vendors of goods and services related to the Agriculture Extension component of the project.
• Review technical reports from the various contractors and provide recommendations to the Head of Programs and Operations as to whether the delivered inputs meet the required standards and quality.
• Transfer technical information, research findings and modern agriculture practices to the farmers in order to improve productivity and profitability of the farming enterprise.
• Ensure timely procurement, and contract management services for Agriculture extension interventions and provide technical advice for effective implementation.
• Supervise Agriculture extension interventions in strict adherence to the set regulations and standard.
• Work with the Project Teams, Community Agriculture Teams (CATS), Village Livestock Teams (VLTS )and other Community structures and local authorities on improved management and sustainability of WASH infrastructure.
Coordination and Collaboration
• Co-ordinate and network with the relevant Local Governments, Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries Officials as well as build relationships with other agencies, NGOs and CBOs working in the Project areas and providing technical support and assistance to Agriculture Extension interventions.
Monitoring & Reporting
• Provide regular reports on Agriculture Extension Interventions and program progress against work plan and program activities.
• Maintain an up to-date activity tracking tool (soft copies and hard copies) of all Agriculture extension related activities.
Team Management & Development
• Supervise the Technical team for agriculture and livestock services
• Team capacity building and mentorship
Qualification, Skills and Experiences
• University Degree of Science in Agriculture in both animal and crop husbandry, or related fields;
• Additional Qualification in Project Planning and Management is desirable.
• At least five years of experience with a non-profit, non-governmental organization, local governments or Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries.
• Excellent experience with Microsoft Excel, including use of formulas and pivot tables and strong skills with Microsoft Word.
• Excellent English communication skills.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently.
• Flexible, able to cope with stressful situations and frustrations.
• Willingness to travel to remote areas in Western and Eastern Uganda.
• Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to be a strong team player.
• Present professional conduct and exercise professional judgment.
• High levels of honesty and integrity.
• Respectful of RTV’s code of ethics.
• Able to manage personal schedule to not interfere with professional work, especially when preparing for long journeys.
• Successful team leadership experience for at least 2 years.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.