Deputy Vice Chancellor Academic Affairs
Deadline of this Job:
16th April 2019
Date Posted: 1st April 2019 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed , Employment Type: Full_Time , Currency: UGX , Value: 1000000 , Minimum: 700000 , Maximum: 3000000 , Period: MONTH
Kabale University (KAB) is one of the Public Universities of Uganda. KAB enjoys the unique status of being the first university of its kind in Uganda, to metamorphose from private to public. It was established by the Parliament of Uganda through Statutory Instrument 2015 No. 36 of 16th July 2015, in accordance with The Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act (2001) (as amended). Prior to this, Kabale University was a not-for-profit Private University, created and owned by the people of the Kigezi Region of South-Western Uganda. The University admitted its 42 pioneer students in 2002, and presently has an enrolment of 3000 students, coming from all parts of Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, DRC Congo, and Sudan. Kabale University was granted Charter Certificate No.UI.CH.008 on 29th September 2014.
The main Campus is located on Kikungiri Hill in Kabale Municipality about 2 km off Kabale-Katuna-Kigali (Rwanda) Highway. The University is strategically located between the Anglophone and Francophone zones of the Great Lakes Region of Eastern Africa. KAB offers a serene environment for academic pursuit.
The University currently offers diploma, undergraduate and post graduate programmes in the School of Medicine; Faculty of Computing Library & Information Science; Faculty of Engineering, Technology, Applied Design & Fine Art; Faculty of Education; Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences; Faculty of Science and the Institute of Language Studies,
The University seeks applications for Deputy Vice Chancellor positions. Please find more details about the positions at www.kab.ac.ug/dvcsearch
Job Title: DEPUTY VICE CHANCELLOR ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
Salary Scale: M2
Tenure: - 5 Year Contract
Responsible to: Vice Chancellor
Duty Station: Kabale University, Kikungiri Campus, Kabale Municipality
Purpose of the job
To provide leadership and coordination of teaching, research and publications matters including policy and standards. .
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
In line with the relevant laws, the Deputy Vice Chancellor Academic Affairs shall be the First Deputy Vice-Chancellor and shall:
• Assist the Vice-Chancellor in the performance of his or her functions and in that regard be responsible for the Academic Affairs of the University
• In the absence of the Vice-Chancellor perform the functions of Vice Chancellor.
• Initiate, obtain approval of and promote policies, plans and programs that enhance the academic and professional excellence of the University
• Oversee the development, implementation and review of the policy framework for monitoring the quality, standards and management of the University's academic programs.
• Establish systems for the planning, development and review of undergraduate, post graduate, research programs and any other academic programs of the University.
• Oversee the selection and admission of students.
• Initiate and coordinate the development and review of curricula for academic programs offered at the University
• Monitor compliance in setting and marking all examinations in accordance with the established regulations.
• Establish systems for students' timely completion of academic programmes
• Promote partnerships and networking for academic growth and development in the University.
• Perform such other functions that may be delegated to him or her by the Vice Chancellor or assigned by the University Council. .
Academic Qualifications, Experience, skills & Competencies:
• Should have a PhD from a recognized University/Institution
• Should have at least ten (10) years of proven experience in teaching, research, leadership and administration, five (5) of which should have been at least at the rank of Dean of Faculty or equivalent in a reputable institution.
• Be at least at the rank of Associate Professor at the time of application.
• Should demonstrate academic leadership through publication and research output.
• Have an understanding of the relevant legal framework for management of higher education in Uganda.
• Should have good leadership, communication, and negotiation and people skills.
• Be aged at least 40 years at the time of application
Job application procedure
Electronic (email) OR hardcopy applications shall be accepted. Candidates should send: 1. Hardcopy: by courier, a sealed application pack containing six copies of the following:
a) Signed application letter.
b) Detailed up-to-date CV including working contact details.
c) Certified copies of academic transcripts and certificates, national identity card or bio-data page of their passport
d) Names and contact details of three referees who should be advised to send confidential references directly to the Search Committee address below. The references should cover the following areas, the candidate's academic credentials, experience, leadership, managerial and administrative skills and personal integrity.
e) Envelope should be clearly marked "APPLICATION FOR THE POSITION OF DVC AA OR DVC FA".
2. Electronic applications should have all the above documents scanned and emailed with the subject clearly marked
"APPLICATION FOR THE POSITION OF DVC AA or DVC FA".
3. Applications SHOULD reach the addressee below by 5:00 p.m. on 16th April 2019. Secretary to the Search Committee, Kabale University, Kikungiri Campus, Plot 364 Kikungiri Hill, Kabale Municipality Email: email@example.com Inquiries can be made through the above email indicating subject as "INQUIRY" or by phone +256 772 485 496 during working hours. 4. Shortlisted applicants SHALL be contacted in person.
Kabale University is an Equal Opportunities Employer.