Habitat for Humanity International, founded in 1976, is a global Christian-based non-profit organization which grew out of an intentionally multi-racial community in rural Georgia. Seeking to put God's love into action, Habitat for Humanity brings together people to build homes, communities, and hope. Working alongside each other, we help families and individuals build and improve places to call home and achieve the strength, stability, and self-reliance they need to build better lives for themselves. Since our inception in Uganda in 1982, Habitat for Humanity has built over 40,000 homes impacting over 240,000 people across the country. Habitat for Humanity seeks individuals who have a willingness to affirm these principles and values.
Deadline of this Job: 14 August 2022
Knowledge, Skills & Competences
• Skills in personal computing, email and communications software (e.g. Adobe suite - InDesign, Photoshop etc)
• Previous proven experience with still photography, videography, and story writing style of communication Broad knowledge and understanding of transformational development and ability to translate technical language into language that is easily understandable by various audiences Excellent communication and public relations skills with strong English language capability (written and oral) and ability to clearly communicate complex ideas and principles
• Previous experience in hosting or working with donors or visitors highly preferred
• Willing and able to travel widely in country to support field teams.
• Dedication to the HFH core values, principles, and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Reporting to the Communications and Advocacy Manager, the Communication and Advocacy Officer supports the implementation of Communication and Advocacy related actions within the country program areas. This includes supporting internal and external visibility of programs, social media engagement, production of materials for marketing, grant acquisition, advocacy and media campaigns. The incumbent will work in close collaboration with Program Officers, Project Managers, Project Teams and implementation partners to ensure regular documentation, dissemination of program impact stories and knowledge management.
A. Communications and advocacy program support, visibility, branding, and messaging
• In collaboration with the Communications and Advocacy Manager, coordinate, plan, and support visits to the field including scouting for impact stories, high quality photos and video footage
• Work with programmes teams to ensure visibility plans/activities are implemented as agreed
• Support the programme teams to compile reports and briefs
• Work with programme teams and partners to develop and roll out communications and advocacy materials that support growth of impact of HEH Uganda work. These include posters, flyers and brochures for awareness creation and education.
Coordinate development and roll out of campaign and project materials by working closely with service providers and the procurement team.
• Support the dissemination of publications such as research findings, policy statements and reports
• Content generation and management of all social media platforms for HFH Uganda
• Manage communications and advocacy calendars
• Support internal communications initiatives
• Support in managing and updating the national media list
B. Event planning and management
• Support in planning, organizing, and documenting public events and outreaches including meetings in line with the HFH
Uganda strategic priorities.
Build the technical capacity of staff and partners to carry out effective documentation and communication, as well as dissemination for advocacy campaigning and learning.
• Participate in project assessments and design to ensure integration of communications and advocacy strategies.
C. Enhanced documentation of programmes
• Coordinate the process of identifying, documentation and dissemination of most significant change stories and best practices using multimedia platforms.
Support compilation of quarterly reports highlighting the programme progress and share them with various stakeholders.
• Facilitate information sharing at the National Office and field teams
• Support dissemination of safeguarding strategy, language, and procedures in all communication products.
Minimum of bachelor's degree in communications, community development, public relations, journalism, or related field.
Deadline of this Job: 31 August 2022POSITION: Communication And Public Relations Manager (1 POSITION) Reports to: Executive Director
Duty Station: Headquarters Kampala
Salary Scale: NFA 3
Terms of Employment: Three (3) year contract (Renewable)
To manage NFA’s public communications, relations and advocacy function, foster stakeholder appreciation of NFA’s mandate and related matters.
Responsibilities and tasks:
• Develop and implement NFA’s communication strategy and brand manual.
• Develop approaches that promote NFA’s corporate brand and monitor its usage by various stakeholders.
• Plan and budget for the communication and public relations unit.
• Initiate, maintain and review NFA media relations and coverage .
• Develop, implement and periodically review tools for educating stakeholders on forestry related activities and the mandate of NFA.
• Engage corporate entities to enlist support for NFA’s initiatives.
• Prepare and disseminate NFA information, press releases, statements and communication materials.
• Manage and guide NFA’s publications that are submitted to the media.
• Organize NFA’s corporate events and protocol management.
• Develop NFA’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) strategy, guide, track and report on the implementation.
• Support NFA staff in managing public relations and communications.
• Establish guidelines that enable internal collaborations with Departments to ensure that their productions, advertisements and promotional materials are well aligned with the approved corporate brand standards.
Provide feedback to the public and respond to media inquiries.
• Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications, work experience and interpersonal attributes/competences:
• Bachelor’s degree (Honors) in Public Relations, Journalism or Mass Communication from a reputable institution.
• Master’s in Public Relations, Journalism, Mass communication or related field is required.
• Minimum of five (5) years’ experience working in the mainstream media, corporate communications and/or public relations with a reputable organization of which three (3) years should be at managerial or senior supervisory level.
• Knowledge of software for publishing and on-line communication.
• Minimum of thirty five (35) years of age.
• Good leadership, management and interpersonal skills.
• Good Communication skills.
• Integrity and confidentiality.
• Networking, presentation and persuasive skills.