Gender and Social Inclusion Officer
Deadline of this Job:
03 October 2022
Date Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job title: Gender and Social Inclusion Officer
The Gender and social Inclusion (GSI) Officer will provide technical direction, oversight, and leadership to create and maximize opportunities to engage social inclusion and gender equity though direct project activities. The candidate will support and lead the development and maintenance of a Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment (GEWE) and social inclusion action plan to recognize the structural disparities and social norms that limit vulnerable populations participation.
GSI will ensure integration of gender and social inclusion, community led safeguarding and support institutional development and envisioning of groups. Capacity building of the project team on gender and social inclusion mainstreaming.
Gender and Social Inclusion Officer will manage and support delivery of gender technical aspects of the intervention at a project level, through both direct delivery and partnerships with external organisations, supported by colleagues who provide the necessary youth skilling initiatives required for the effective and sustainable delivery of the project.
Reporting to: Project Manager/Project Coordinator
Gender and Social Inclusion Officer will work closely with the Project Manager, Enterprise Development Coordinators, and technical team to ensure that gender, youth, refuges equity and social inclusion aspects are incorporated, well-developed, and progress in all technical activities, particularly communications activities that promote social behavior change. This role will also ensure the project team members are familiar with gender inclusion and provide any necessary trainings – both to staff as well as relevant stakeholders to instil the culture and skillset of incorporating gender throughout the project lifecycle. S/he will also work closely with the MEL Specialist in order to capture efforts of gender and youth inclusion as part of a learning agenda or learning questions, as well as any relevant project indicators.
• Support in the development of action plan for gender and social inclusion and implementation plan for gender and inclusion development.
• Conduct gender mapping, analysis in the value chain and support inclusion of marginalised categories in key participating positions.
• The role in addition will ensure inclusion aspects for People with disability and other excluded groups in all project intervention areas.
• Provide technical leadership and oversight, and integration of gender and social inclusion approaches across program activities.
• Use Gender and social inclusion analysis to purposefully engage youth, women, and marginalized groups in all activities and result areas.
• Develop and lead the implementation of the project’s Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment and Social inclusion strategy and action plan, including the adaptation and development of tools and approaches to support the strategy and action plan.
• Work with senior project management to raise awareness and capacity of project staff on issues related to GSI, and to expand gender content of the project.
• Work closely with project staff to build their understanding of gender and youth issues. Facilitate GSI training and develop and/or adapt training content.
• Support the integration of GSI activities within the work plan; GSI specific tools in work planning to promote gender balance in the project implementation.
• Support development of GSI sensitive behavior change communication activities and messages. Write success stories related to the GSI work being done.
• Work closely with M&E team to ensure that GSI considerations are reflected in M&E plan, frameworks, and reports to assess whether the GSI objectives are being met. Support the tracking and maintenance of any GYESI performance indicators.
• Map out potential employment opportunities and link youth to decent employment.
1. Policies and Project implementation
a. Ensure all projects are being implemented in line with Ripple Effect Uganda’s Gender and Social Inclusion training manual, wider Ripple Effect policies and procedures, and according to Programme Management Guidelines.
2. Capacity Building
a. Identify and facilitate implementation of appropriate strategies and tools to increase the capacity of staff, partners, and Community resource persons on all and any aspects of Gender and Social Inclusion approaches and Principles
b. Coordinate and mentor Community resource persons individually, and as a group of specialised member volunteers.
3. Project Development
a. Monitor and actively participate in processes for development of calls for proposals through thematic area lead in community assessments, technical review of Theories of Change and other key documents, and final review pre-submission of any application for funding.
4. Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
a. Coordinate and assist with community assessments, surveys (base line, reviews and project end surveys) and conduct field visits at least 40% of the time in order to collect and verify data in relation to the technical area of Gender and social development indicators and keep abreast of current field progress and farmer perspectives.
5. Timely reporting
a. Document and share success stories and case studies and all learning points, technical review of other team members’ submissions of the same
b. Research and propose Gender best practices in NGO programmes development and operations in keeping with the Ripple Effect Approaches
c. Write Gender project summaries in support of the establishment of progress as Ripple Effect programs.
d. Keep regional and country level management informed of changing context, issues and concerns relevant to project activities and programme approaches.
6. Fundraising and Representation
a. Participate in and contribute towards Ripple Effect fundraising activities
b. Participate in intercountry forums for Ripple Effect GSI and individual support meetings with the Ripple Effect Group Programmes
a. Strengthen Ripple Effect collaborative partnerships and linkage with any other NGOs, private sector and service providers in supporting and addressing farmers’ needs at National level while recommending District level partnerships to the Project Coordinators.
b. Attend and represent at networking forums and events as required.
Learning & skills
Master’s degree in Social Work and Social Administration, social sciences, preferably development studies, gender studies or other related field with a Bachelor’s in similar or related fields.
Postgraduate training in gender and social development; Community leadership and management; or rural development.
Creativity & reasoning
The role requires a good understanding of government Gender and youth policies, particularly in relation to Ripple Effect programs and other NGOs. Practical experience in implementing Gender in development projects in the field, and the associated documentation is essential.
Communication & interaction
The role requires clear communication skills. One should be able to clearly communicate to the stakeholders the project goal and outcomes. He/she should be able to creatively prepare clear reports that show the project progress.
The role requires interaction with the implementing team, communities, and local government authorities. One should be able to quickly learn the culture of the community to support their ability to interact. He/she should have a good problem-solving approach and conflict resolution at individual and community level
The role should have good level of computer literacy and demonstrated ability to capture data/information using different advanced computer software, produce computer-based reports, read and interpret monitoring data presented through spread sheets and interact and respond appropriately to other Ripple Effect countries through IT media
Judgements & actions
The role works within broad guidelines that include capacity building & networking among others and thus should be able to plan their time accordingly to ensure all areas are supported. The role involves high level of interaction with staff and other project actors for effective technical and advisory role.
One should be able to clearly judge impact and uptake of Gender and Social Inclusion approaches among the community beneficiaries avoiding situations that create dependency among the project participants. Gender models being promoted should be in line with Government policies.
To enhance close supervision, the role requires presence in the field monitoring and building capacity up to 60% of the time. 40% of the time will be used for purposes of networking, research reporting.
Occasionally the role may be exposed to stressful conditions during travel in the field traversing the project area while providing supervision and other support.
Role & Person Specification
Personal competencies and talents Status
Master’s degree in Social Work and Social Administration, social sciences preferably development studies, gender studies or other related field with a Bachelor’s in similar or related fields.
• 7 years’ experience at field level in gender and social development
• Practical experience in implementing gender projects in the field, and the associated documentation
• Experience of leading, supporting, managing, a team
• Experience of organizing and conducting trainings and workshops at different levels
• Experience in a number of different approaches to extension and use of media for community learning
• Experience in youth skilling and business start -up, mentorship and acceleration
• Experience in using gender tools.
• Prior experience designing and implementing gender plans for projects.
• Prior experience working in the integration of gender and youth considerations in value chains, or skilling for employment is projects preferred.
• Ability to develop effective working relationships with donors, government counterparts at all levels, local organizations, community groups, and other program partners and stakeholders.
• Ability to conceptualize, plan, guide, and implement work with demonstrated experience in mainstreaming GSI
• Proven experience leading the gender development and planning for a donor-funded program of this size and geographic expansion.
• Strong oral and written communication skills in English.
• Strong leadership ability
• Excellent communication skills
• Good presentation skills
• Report writing skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Strong networking skills.
• Able to participate on a policy level with government and other development partners
• Ability to identify funding opportunities
Have empathy with Ripple Effect’s Christian foundation and core values
• An initiator and self-driven
• A team leader, builder and developer
• A broad and mature thinker
• A strategic thinker with an eye for detail
• Creative and innovative
• A team player. Flexible.
• Understands the importance of confidentiality especially for data.
Postgraduate training in gender and social development; Community leadership and management; or rural development.
Experience in NGO work.
• Experience of project proposal writing and fund raising
• Community development experience
• Experience in research and development in Gender
• Knowledge in extension services delivery
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
• Download and fill in the application form provided below
• Attach a comprehensive CV and certified copies of academic documents
• Submit application online to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly indicating the position and location you are applying for in the subject line.
Deadline: 3rd October 2022 at 5:00pm EAT
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted
Job description – Download
Ripple Effect Job Application Form – Download
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.