Project Coordinator, WASH & Climate Change
Jobs at:Plan International
Deadline of this Job:
Sunday, June 04 2023
Date Posted: Friday, May 26 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Function Programme Implementation Supervises
Reports to Program Specialist WASH & climate change
Location Buyende Travel required 30%
Effective Date July 2023 Grade Level 13
Organisation Overview & Role Purpose
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We believe in the power and potential of every child. However, this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination, and it is girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners in more than 70 countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas, Plan International’s purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality of girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. We enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
The Project Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that PIU's WASH SDG Project is implemented with the highest standards and quality for impact on the lives of children as defined in the Plan International Uganda (PIU) country strategy. The incumbent will be accountable for delivery of the project on time, scope and budget as per project management standards.
The Project Coordinator contributes to the development of the project plans, aiming to optimise beneficial impact to the beneficiaries in the programme area. The job holder implements the assigned project portfolio within the programme area ensuring the achievement of project targets
The Project Coordinator provides effective project management for a delegated portfolio of project activities, ensuring that results are achieved and quality interventions are delivered in line with project guidelines
The role is not responsible for managing a departmental budget; however, the job holder can influence the utilisation of the project budget
• The major challenge of the role is to achieve project goals on time and to standard, adaptively managing the project to optimise PIU’s beneficial impact on vulnerable children and youth, especially girls. This requires the job holder to:
• Have an accountability for the implementation of the project
• Implement tasks on track in their activities, in a dynamic and changing environments with multiple stakeholders
Have communication and interpersonal skills to deal with various stakeholders at local levels
Level of contact with children
This position has been classified as “high contact”: Significant interaction with children
Key result areas:
• KRA 1: Project Planning & Initiation
• Participate in the design, planning and initiation of new projects in the designated Programme Area (PA):
• Participate in the situational analysis and baseline studies to get a full understanding of the project scope, targets and intended impact
• Working closely with the Project Manager, set and evaluate Project milestones to be realised in Programme Area for particular periods
• Support conduct planning meetings and come up with ways of addressing any gaps that are identified including supporting district stakeholders during supervision and monitoring of Project activities.
• Monitor and ensure timely implementation of project activities as per detailed implementation schedule
• Contribute towards the implementation of the project by ensuring desired results are achieved on time and to the standard
• KRA 2: Partnership Management
• Coordinate partner on-boarding for effective implementation of the project by ensuring that ongoing relationships with partners are maintained:
• Support partners to cascade project plans and milestones for clarity of linkages and contributions to the main project
• Review reports on partner due diligence and capacity assessments ensuring that the project is on the right track and feedback shared with the partners for any corrective action
• Develop programme for induction, coaching and training for partners to equip them with the necessary skills, knowledge and tools to effectively implement the project
• Support organize and conduct Project reflection and review meetings at team and district levels that bring on board different stakeholders
• In collaboration with the Project Manager, support with the tracking, monitoring, evaluation, documentation and reporting of project outputs, outcomes, impact or results and changes.
• Support partners to develop project proposals that contribute to the Country's strategic plan
• KRA 3: Communicating for Influence
• Support the development and implementation of an innovative influencing & communication plan for the PA:
• Actively participate in meetings within the Programme Area that raise PIU's profile and advocacy agenda
• Support strategic partnerships, alliances, networks, and coalitions to spearhead and promote project objectives and outcomes
• Work with other team members to implement internal PIU principles of communication
• Contribute to the development and implementation of a communication strategy
• Organise regular community awareness meetings about Plan programs and approaches, in particular ensuring that sponsored families and communities are updated on Plan’s interventions and the graduation process
• Provide technical information and analysis from Project results that help in influencing and raising PIU profile
• KRA 4: Ensuring Impactful Implementation
• Work collaboratively with the Project team and other colleagues in the programme area to develop and implement a cost-effective and impactful community engagement strategy, ensure an accurate representation of sponsorship benefits is communicated, and carefully manage expectations
• Support district and sub district stakeholders in the implementation of the Project interventions supported by Plan International Uganda; working with the respective district technical working Committees for smooth coordination of all Project activities.
• Support the project manager in executing the project according to the project plan, with all activities carried out on time, scope and budget; provide timely justification for any changes or modifications required
• Support project stakeholders conduct quarterly project monitoring and support supervision visits and meetings.
• Review data, analysis and reports from PD&Q and MERL teams to assess whether implementation progress is being realised as per project milestones and other parameters
• Support the Project Manager with all the transition activities to ensure proper closure of the project (lessons learned, financial and contractual closure activities, etc.)
• KRA 5: Risk, Compliance & Accountability
• Effectively identify and manage risks, in particular those associated with procurement, finances, safeguarding, and staff health, safety and security:
• Implement all relevant policies, procedures and guidelines (e.g. finance, procurement, security, IT, gender equality & inclusion, harassment, bullying & non-discrimination policy as well as Children and Young People Safeguarding policy etc.) at all levels
• In collaboration with Project Manager, comprehensively map out all the risks and compliance requirements relevant to the project area
• Generate report on level of partner compliance and implementation to guide any interventions needed
• Conduct quarterly project monitoring and support supervision visits and meetings to the partners: ensuring compliance to project guidelines.
• Implement the policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC) to all areas of work, and concerns promptly reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures
• KRA 6: Safeguarding, Gender Equality & Inclusion
• Ensure that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
• A Degree in Social sciences, Development studies, Education, Public Health, Environment or its equivalent.
• Post graduate diploma in Project Planning & Management or related field
• At least 5 years’ post-graduation experience, with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in supporting donor projects preferably with an International Non-Governmental Organization
• Myself as a Leader
• Behaves in line with our values, bringing energy and commitment to the task of safeguarding girls, children, young people, vulnerable adults and colleagues; constructive and optimistic in facing challenges and change.
• Lasting Impact
• Focuses effort where it will make the best contribution to PIU's purpose and strategic goals; takes the initiative to find new and better ways of doing work.
• Open & Accountable
• Holds self and others to account for what we have agreed, dealing with poor performance quickly, firmly and constructively; at all times acts in the best interests of PIU and her beneficiaries.
• Work Well Together
• Acts as a good team player, communicating effectively and being open and supportive towards those around them; is aware of the potential impact of their behaviour on others and makes sensitive choices.
• Inclusive & Empowering
• Collaborates with team members, colleagues and partners in an active and engaged manner; shares information, experience and ideas with the aim of helping or empowering others.
Skills & Knowledge
• Takes responsibility for own performance and development: reflecting, seeking and listening to feedback, learning from mistakes, finding people or resources to help them learn, keeping knowledge and skills up to date.
Critical Business Management Competencies
• Good understanding of broad trends in the development and humanitarian sector and key external organisations relevant to the [thematic area of job].
• Experience of using project management principles and practices to lead significant projects; ensuring the achievement of results on time and to standard
• Good understanding of financial and procurement systems, with a good track record of complying with relevant procedures and controls.
• Good analytical skills as required to obtain and process information and numerical data from a range of sources and use the insights gained to inform decisions or communications.
• Good written and spoken communication skills, including in [any required language], with an ability to effectively adjust content and presentation so as to connect with an audience.
• Track record of leading a team to work effectively together, using negotiation and mediation techniques to manage conflict, and ensuring that diverse perspectives and viewpoints are welcomed.
Critical Technical Competencies
• 3 years’ experience in development & implementation of WASH &Climate change programs with local or International organisation
• Knowledge of environment and current effective practices of WASH & climate change in Uganda, including existing networks, CSOs and government stakeholders
• Knowledge of gender tools: Gender WASH Monitoring Tool (GWMT), Gender Marker, Participation Ladder
• Experience in integrating Gender and social Inclusion in WASH
• Knowledge & experience on WASH in schools, Menstrual Health & Hygiene/ Menstrual health Management & Sanitation as business Interventions
• Knowledge & experience of Integrating climate change in WASH
• Desirable: Experience in networking with poor children and their families, local and international NGOs, local government partners, and local community-based organizations.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.