Jobs at:The International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Deadline of this Job:
08 October 20211
Date Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Requisition ID: req20317
Job Title: Legal Officer
Sector: Protection and rule of law
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kampala, Uganda
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S. cities, we improve outcomes in the areas of health, safety, economic wellbeing, education and power.
The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998 supporting Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), refugees and various institutions in the country, notably the government, community-based organizations (CBOs), civil society organizations (CBOs) and the private sector. The current program portfolio in Uganda includes health and nutrition, Protection and Rule of Law (PRoL) support to persons with specific needs (PSNs) including case management, legal assistance to refugees, Women Protection and Empowerment (WPE) prevention and response to gender-based violence, and economic recovery and development (ERD). The IRC has a country office in Kampala and field offices in Imvepi, Kyaka II, Lamwo, Moroto, Kiryandongo and Yumbe, as well as an urban office in Nsambya within Kampala.
Under the supervision of the Senior Protection Officer She/he will identify legal issues and provide legal counselling and case management for individuals in the community and in detention facilities. They will facilitate referrals for legal representation to bona fide legal practices who offer pro bono services. Working with community structures, detention facilities, the Police and other stakeholders in the urban environment will organise legal information sessions in various environments to respond to needs and concerns of refugees in the urban context. She/he will be part of an integrated protection team and work in a consortium with other actors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work with Community based-Volunteers, Community leaders, the Police and other stakeholders in the legal sphere to identify issues impacting on urban refugees needing legal interventions.
• Undertake regular monitoring and visits of detention and prison facilities.
• Provide legal counseling and case management support to refugees and other vulnerable individuals.
• Conduct legal information sessions on human rights and key laws relating to protection of refugees and other affected persons.
• Facilitate referrals for legal representation from pro bono agencies.
• Closely work with Police to provide necessary assistance to survivors and witnesses.
• Submit daily and weekly data\reports, including narrative of high risk cases to inform appropriate actions.
• Participate in legal trainings as directed by the Senior Legal Officer.
• Conduct legal information sessions on rights and obligations of refugees, key offences and punishments in Uganda, International human rights laws relating to refugees and other persons of concern.
• Analyze data, highlight trends and legal protection needs of refugees and other persons of concern.
• Support training of state and non- state actors on national and international legal frameworks to targeted audiences.
• Undertake other administrative duties as directed by the Senior Protection Officer required for the functioning of programme and implementation that are consistent with the role of Legal Officer.
• A Bachelors Degree of Law from a recognized institution.
• At least two (2) years of prior professional experience in a similar post, preferably with an international
• Strong understanding of human rights including gender equality.
• Strong communication skills including ability to gain trust and build relationships with new communities.
• Good understanding of International Human Rights, Refugee Law, Ugandan national laws and policies relating to refugees.
• Experience in report writing.
• Experience in forming community-based child protection structures
• Ability to work flexibly and collaboratively independently with team members and independently to achieve results.
• Proficient computer knowledge and experience in Ms Word, Ms Excel, Ms Applications and Outlook.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Senior Protection Officer
Position Indirectly Reports to: Urban Programme Manager
Position directly supervises: Community based Volunteers
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Apply at: https://rescue.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/requisition/20317/application?c=rescue&jobboardid=0#1 Please note: Deadline for receiving applications is October 8th 2021.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.