Community Nutrition Officer
Jobs at:Action Against Hunger
Deadline of this Job:
16 July 2020
Date Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 9 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Nigeria, Pakistan, Cambodia, Tanzania, Uganda, Haiti and Somalia. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $92 million in programs, and approximately 2000 staff based in in the various country offices and the three Head Quarter Locations of New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi. Additional growth is anticipated Action Against Hunger looking for a highly competent and vibrant person for a Community Nutrition Officer role in our Kyangwali Base to provide technical support in the implementation and supervision of Targeted Supplementary Feeding Program, MCHN programs and other nutrition programs under the UN WFP funded project. .
Summary of position
The Community Nutrition Officer will be responsible for supporting all community activities at the field level, which include identification and sensitization of fresh food voucher beneficiaries, establishment of maternal child health outreaches among others in liaison with the community based facilitators for community mobilization and sensitization. Other key deliverables include supporting capacity-building activities for community structures (VHTs and Lead mothers)
The CNO role’s purpose, engagement and delivery is:
• Provide technical support in the sensitization of targeted beneficiaries on maternal, infant and young child feeding (MIYCF) & prevention of hygiene related diseases and other nutrition programs as required by the supervisor, compile reports, learning documents, case studies that inform key project indicators as required by the grant.
• The officer shall directly work under the Assistant Program Manager as the direct supervisor for technical support & Information sharing.
• In addition, he/she will work with governmental and non-governmental partners in the exchange of information, coordination and representation
• Other NGOs: technical relationship at field level, coordination of activities at field level.
• Contribute to positive nutrition outcomes through implementation of community led nutrition programs. Support the supervision of community based facilitators for the care group approach. Prepare weekly, monthly and donor reports as per the standard reporting format.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Identify and sensitize Fresh food voucher beneficiaries with emphasis on the rationale and their appropriate entitlements at community level, health facilities and established maternal and child health outreaches particularly pregnant and lactating mothers and children U2.
• Mobilize and sensitize Vendors and other stakeholders for effective FFV activities and awareness.
• Participate in beneficiary profiling, beneficiary registration, and base line-end line assessments in FSL activities through technical review and guidance on data collection tools.
• Ensure that targeted beneficiaries are sensitized on key Essential Nutrition Actions, maternal, infant and young child feeding (MIYCF) and prevention of hygiene related diseases through cooking lessons/ demonstrations, trainings, pre-distribution messages that include individual and group education sessions, community dialogues to identify bottlenecks and solutions, promoting production of micro-nutrient rich vegetables among beneficiaries and other innovative activities.
• Ensure active participation of the various categories of stakeholders in project implementation, monitoring and evaluation for effective programming.
• Support in development of relevant project IEC materials and also ensure that such materials are effectively disseminated to targeted beneficiaries.
• Oversee and advise on activities implemented by Village Health Teams and the care group Members including mentoring and reporting follow-up
• Prepare weekly and monthly individual work plans and submit to the supervisors.
• Identify Nutrition related training needs for VHTs, and community based facilitators (CBF) on nutrition and health and organize the necessary trainings
• Render support in the development and dissemination of relevant IEC materials on Prevention of stunting, micronutrient deficiencies, Management of Acute Malnutrition and Infant and Young Child Feeding Practices
• Provide Nutrition education to project staff and other support personnel
• Assist in regular on-job mentorship and support of Village Health Teams and CBFs in nutrition promotion at community level
• Directly organize for community feedback meetings on a monthly basis and in addition to sharing achievements, challenges and solutions, Ensure VHTs are oriented on active case finding referral and follow-up of malnourished clients.
• Participate in all project review assessments, surveys and studies and ensure these are conducted according to protocol.
• Participate in FFV beneficiary profiling, beneficiary identification and registration, and base line-end line assessments in nutrition-FSL activities through technical review and guidance on data collection tools.
• Collect quality data, utilize and also timely and accurately report the data.
• Ensure regular and timely monthly reporting among the VHTs and Community based facilitators on the project activities in the catchment areas.
• Support the establishment of a database for all project activities to regularly monitor and evaluate their activities.
• Oversee reporting on project progress, success stories and lessons learned during project implementation.
• Ensure that staff/persons under your supervision (Community Based Facilitators) are effectively engaged in their tasks and perform their duties in accordance with Action Against Hunger expectation.
• Ensure that staff under your supervision develop weekly and quarterly activity work plans and adhere to them.
• Identify training needs of staff under your supervision and suggest an appropriate training plan.
• Actively participate in internal and external meetings according to the Assistant Program Manager guidance with support of the Field Manager.
• Actively participate in events organized in the refugee and host community setting
• Coordinate with other sections of Action Against Hunger and all other stakeholders in the response
• Perform any other duties as assigned from time to time
Gender Equality Commitments
• Foster an environment that supports values of women and men, and equal access to information.
• Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
• Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
• Value and respect all cultures.
• Work closely with the program Manager in updating the project BFU in relation to the activity implementation plan on regular basis, ensuring that relevant documentation on Nutritional activities is filed and archived.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required. Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
Job Skills: Not Specified
Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
• Bachelor degree in Nutrition, Public Health or related field with 2 years’ experience in implementation of community nutrition approach in IMAM and the care group approach
• Extensive knowledge and experience in implementation of community nutrition and health programs, cash based interventions/ vouchers, WASH programmes and ideally FSL programmes
• Previous work in a credible NGO/INGO preferably in emergency setting is desirable.
• Previous work in a supervisory position will be an added advantage.
• Knowledge of the local Area, local context, language is an added advantage
Required Skills & Competencies
• Strong communication skills (written and oral) in English
• Knowledge of word processor, spreadsheet and software use like ENA, SPSS plus other programs advantageous
• Excellent facilitation skills
• Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently
• Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations
• Excellent reporting skills with good oral and written communication skills
• Diplomatic and culturally sensitive
• Fluency in written and spoken English
Job Education: Not Specified
Job Experience: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. Application Process. Interested applicants should submit their CV and cover letter by filling in the application form on the link ( https://forms.gle/Bi1e7fQdNYVNeqJi9 ). Cover letter should be addressed to: The Head of Human Resources, Action Against Hunger with the title Nutrition Officer-Kyangwali as the subject. Please note that the link is case sensitive. Closing date for applications is July 16, 2020
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.