Jobs at:Action Against Hunger
Deadline of this Job:
16 July 2020
Date Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 9 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Nigeria, Pakistan, Cambodia, Tanzania, Uganda, Haiti and Somalia. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $92 million in programs, and approximately 2000 staff based in in the various country offices and the three Head Quarter Locations of New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi. Additional growth is anticipated
Action Against Hunger looking for a highly competent and vibrant person for a Nutrition Officer role in our Kyangwali Base to provide technical support in the implementation and supervision of Targeted Supplementary Feeding Program, MCHN programs and other nutrition programs under the UN WFP funded project.
I. Summary of position
The Nutrition Officer will be responsible for interacting with health workers, village health teams and communities to ensure early identification, referral and management of malnutrition in beneficiary communities .
The Nutrition Officer role’s purpose, engagement and delivery is:
• Purpose (The substantive focus of the job encompassing scope, depth and difficulty of work both conceptual and applied)
• Provide technical support in the implementation and supervision of Targeted Supplementary Feeding Program, MCHN programs and other nutrition programs as required by the supervisor, compile reports, learning documents, case studies that inform key project indicators as required by the grant.
Engagement: (The focus of interaction both internally and externally needed to deliver a service seek collaboration and build effective partnerships)
• The officer shall directly work under the Assistant Program Manager as the direct supervisor for technical support, Information sharing and in liaison with the Program Manager as the overall Supervisor for Technical support and Information sharing.
• In addition, he/she will work with governmental and non-governmental partners in the exchange of information, coordination and representation
• Other NGOs: technical relationship at field level, coordination of activities at field level.
Delivery: (The focus on the execution of the work and the role on the team for supporting business/operational functions in terms of timeliness and quality)
• Contribute to positive nutrition outcomes through implementation of nutrition programs. Support the supervision of health workers including village health team members. Contribute to preparation of weekly and monthly reports in standard reporting format.
• Manage established facilities and refer severe acute malnutrition among children under five and pregnant and lactating mothers according to the Ministry of Health Uganda IMAM guidelines.
• Provide health facilities and VHTs with equipment, reporting tools and other logistical needs necessary for screening, management and referral of malnutrition among the targeted beneficiaries
• Refer identified malnourished children under 5 and pregnant and lactating women for specialized service or support as defined by MOH
• Disseminate IEC materials on IMAM and IYCF
• Conduct sensitization sessions on nutrition and health education with key essential nutrition actions, infant and young child feeding and prevention of hygiene related diseases in refugee settlements and host communities
• Oversee that the linkages between community based health structures for early case identification, referral and management of acute malnutrition and common childhood illnesses are strengthened.
• Facilitate capacity building activities (mentorship, CMEs, trainings) targeting health workers, village health teams and district health teams to provide effective management of malnutrition
• Participate in beneficiary identification and rapid nutrition assessment and nutrition surveillance
• Support the compilation of nutrition updates and reports at all levels
• Oversee the collection, handling, analysis and reporting of data related to nutrition screening, client
• Prepare quality weekly and monthly reports in standard reporting format and NFIs in accordance the MOH guidelines, MIS tools as well as donor reports.
• Mobilize communities and community leaders to participate in Action Against Hunger project community activities and organize regular community meetings to address areas for program improvement
• Actively participate in events organized in the refugee and host community settings
• Other duties as assigned from time to time
III. Gender Equality Commitments
• Foster an environment that supports values of women and men, and equal access to information.
• Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
• Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
• Value and respect all cultures.
IV. Fiscal Responsibility
• Work closely with the program Manager in updating the project BFU in relation to the activity implementation plan on regular basis, ensuring that relevant documentation on agricultural activities is filed and archived.
V. Physical Demands
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to have field travels up to 60% interfacing with beneficiaries and partly the district agricultural officer/extension staff. 40% of the time will be spent sitting for long hours to concentrate on office work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
VI. Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
Job Skills: Not Specified
Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
• Bachelor degree in Nutrition or related field from a recognized institute
• 3 years’ experience in implementing a project on IMAM with emphasis on Community Based Supplementary Programs and Maternal Child Health Program.
VIII. Required Skills & Competencies
• Extensive knowledge and experience in implementation of community nutrition and health programs with demonstrated leadership for IYCF, SFP and MCHN program.
• Effective communication skills (written and oral) in English
• Knowledge of word processor, spreadsheet and software use like ENA, SPSS plus other programs advantageous
• Demonstrated experience and/or personal commitment to promoting gender equality within the work
• Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently
• Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations
• Excellent reporting skills with good oral and written communication skills
Job Education: Not Specified
Job Experience: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. Application Process. Interested applicants should submit their CV and cover letter by filling in the application form on the link ( https://forms.gle/Bi1e7fQdNYVNeqJi9 ). Cover letter should be addressed to: The Head of Human Resources, Action Against Hunger with the title Nutrition Officer-Kyangwali as the subject. Please note that the link is case sensitive. Closing date for applications is July 16, 2020
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.